PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus shows non-executable folders as empty???

u-slayer
December 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Why should a folder have to be executable for nautilus to see it?

I was going crazy trying to figure out why my folder was full of files according to ls -lah, but nautilus showed the same folder as empty. Then I set the executable bit for the folder and all of a sudden nautilus can see it.

Why should a folder even be executable? Isn't that bit supposed to be for programs? Also, isn't this a serious bug? I might have assumed the folder is empty because nautilus said so and then gone ahead and deleted that folder and destroyed all my data with it.

kellemes
December 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Are these hidden files maybe? (preceded with a dot)
Nautilus shows these when pressing Ctrl-H

mcduck
December 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Why should a folder have to be executable for nautilus to see it?

I was going crazy trying to figure out why my folder was full of files according to ls -lah, but nautilus showed the same folder as empty. Then I set the executable bit for the folder and all of a sudden nautilus can see it.

Why should a folder even be executable? Isn't that bit supposed to be for programs? Also, isn't this a serious bug? I might have assumed the folder is empty because nautilus said so and then gone ahead and deleted that folder and destroyed all my data with it.

Viewing a directory's contents is same as executing the directory, thus you need the execute permissions to enter a directory.

(read permissions only make you able to access files inside a directory if you know the exact path and filename)

So no, that's not a bug, that's how directory permissions are supposed to work. They make a difference between accessing files inside a directory and being able to list contents of a directory. And same permissions of course apply to Nautilus (and any other graphical file manager) as well.