PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Ubuntu for what it is

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
There are three threads on just the front page of the Cafe where people are wanting Ubuntu to get away from Debian (and even Linux?) and do their own thing.

Firstly, why not just post in one of the other threads talking about this? It's not like you have to get past the first page to get to them.

Secondly, people just need to accept Ubuntu for what it is. There are plenty of options out there if you don't like it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1655047

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1652531

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1655158

And I guess this thread makes 4. :)

JDShu
December 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM
IMO the topics have been getting pretty ridiculous, as well as having very little explanation for why they are good ideas. I think its a case of people not really understanding the whole Ubuntu situation and just suggesting random stuff that sounds good.

Zzl1xndd
December 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
IMO the topics have been getting pretty ridiculous, as well as having very little explanation for why they are good ideas. I think its a case of people not really understanding the whole Ubuntu situation and just suggesting random stuff that sounds good.

I couldn't agree more. Most seem to have a lack of understanding of FOSS works, how Android is a Linux but not a desktop Linux, or that starting from scratch would be a huge undertaking costing billions of dollars to get to where we are now.

kaldor
December 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM

yes

koenn
December 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I agree.
I still click on these "ubuntu should ... " threads (apart from the current ones, how many hundreds of those have we seen over the years ....) hoping there will be the occasional fresh new insight, but it's always a disappointment - mindless opinion without any substance, a complete lack of insight or knowledge, and often not the faintest attempt of a rationale ; They all boil down to "ubuntu should do this and that, because I think so". So poor.

Secondly, people just need to accept Ubuntu for what it is. There are plenty of options out there if you don't like it.
I actually don't mind people taking a critical view, so I don't think people should just accept Ubuntu for what it is. It's the emptiness of those threads that bugs me, mostly. Otoh, Ubuntu was started with a specific goal, and at least a general direction and modus operandi to work towards that goal. It's pretty ridiculous (or arrogant or naive) of such posters to think that their empty, opinions, blatantly lacking any reasoning and showing a complete lack of understanding the context, even matters one bit.

nothingspecial
December 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Yawn

Lancro
December 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I like it debian based, so I dont look at those threads.

lykwydchykyn
December 29th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I've grown accustomed to the constant barrage of "Ubuntu should -<insert idea that would require retooling the entire project and throwing away ~6 years of work>- because that would (for entirely unspecified reasons) be awesome!!".

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I actually don't mind people taking a critical view, so I don't think people should just accept Ubuntu for what it is.

Well, I obviously didn't really mean it like that. I'm talking more fundamentally. I don't have anything against advancement. But I think you should understand that I mean that Ubuntu is fundamentally a Linux and Debian based distribution with FOSS ideals, and odds are it will never change from those fundamentals.

MisterGaribaldi
December 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
The lack of comprehension about computers and operating systems (and other related things) is frequently painfully obvious on this and other message boards.

Not everyone (even on UbuntuForums) is a technology enthusiast. It is what it is.

koenn
December 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
But I think you should understand that I mean that Ubuntu is fundamentally a Linux and Debian based distribution with FOSS ideals, and odds are it will never change from those fundamentals.
That's more or less what I meant with "they don't seem to understand the context"

koenn
December 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Not everyone (even on UbuntuForums) is a technology enthusiast. It is what it is.
The people forrest referred to seem technology enthusiast enough to have strong opinions on the direction, design and implementation of a large and complex technological project, though.