PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] external usb hard drive permissions

unfinishedsweet
December 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hi There

I am digging the forum through and cannot find the answer. My problem is, the usb hard drive when plugged in get automatically mounted what is great. Unfortunately I get only read permissions, while need write too.

There are no any entries in fstab, so I do not know what does handle automounting and how to edit options to force mounting with write permission to user (root obviously can write). Are they hald options or any other app does this? Where to edit them? The drive is not permanently ON, just switch it when need, so it has to work every time I put it on.

I use xubuntu with Thunar.

Regards
Mr. P

Bucky Ball
December 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
What are the permissions now? For the user or root or won't let you see them?

unfinishedsweet
December 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I can see all the files as a user, cannot write though. Root can do everything. On the ext partitions I can give permissions to folders and that's fine. Worse is with jfs even root cannot write I think. Cannot check it now as too many operations on that disk at the moment. There also is few ntfs partitions on that disk I would like to have accessible to write by user straight after auto mounting.

Bucky Ball
December 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You need be a bit more specific.

The external drive you are trying to write to is jfs? NTFS?

When you right click on the drive, hit PROPERTIES, then PERMISSIONS, what do you see?

unfinishedsweet
December 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
It's multi partition disk. On ext partition the root is owner and has write permissions, on jfs partition user is the owner but nobody has write access as it is read-only file system. Is jfs fully read write supported in generic kernel by the way?

Bucky Ball
December 29th, 2010, 06:06 PM
This might be of some help.

http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/119025

Right click on that partition and change the permissions if you can.

unfinishedsweet
December 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
the link doesn't solve my problem. I used to use jfs with my previous machine controlled by gentoo linux where disk came from. Just don't know why it is automatically mounted as a read-only file system ?

Bucky Ball
December 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
'Tis odd.

unfinishedsweet
December 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
chmod: changing permissions of `/media/disk-5/': Read-only file system