PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I adjust the splash screen sound volume

Pudellvr
December 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have recently installed ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 8500. It works well but the startup volume on the ubuntu splash screen is extremely loud. How do I adjust this. System volume does not seem to help.

Pudellvr
December 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
could someone please help me with this?

ottosykora
December 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I would also be interested in this, since the laud sound on start up is problematic in rooms where more people do work.

j388m
December 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I would also like to know this answer.

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hi

I don't know if this will work as it's taken from this post and it's a bit old.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1357730

System->Preferences->Sound : Adjust the Alert Volume and reboot to hear.

I hope it works.

Kind regards

WthIteh
December 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Usually I don't hear loud sound on start-up. I didn't check it exactly but it seems that the sound preference will remain constant (remembered) after boot.
So simply mute or turn down your sound volume before shutting down and then the start-up sound will go away.

holiday
December 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Is there a sound preferences option somewhere - like Windows has - where I can assign sounds (or disable sounds) for a particular event. I like most of the sounds, but the startup sound is startling and sometimes embarrassing.

I know I can disable all sounds, and I can mute before shutdown, but neither solution is ideal.

I think I remember this option being a feature of Ubuntu's desktop, but I don't see it now.

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi

If you want to turn off the logon screen sound you can do that from

System->Administration->Logon screen and uncheck Play log-in sound.

You will then have no log in sound at all. My other post was a potential solution to make it quieter.

Kind regards

holiday
December 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi

If you want to turn off the logon screen sound you can do that from

System->Administration->Logon screen and uncheck Play log-in sound.

You will then have no log in sound at all. My other post was a potential solution to make it quieter.

Kind regards

Thank you.

Pudellvr
January 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
None of these solutions work. The startup drum beat and oooohhhs are deafening. Sound is moderate to low playing on the system. Alerts turned off.

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hi

Did you try..

System->Administration->Logon screen and uncheck Play log-in sound

To switch the logon sound off?

Kind regards

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hi

There is a way to make the login sound queiter (not the drums, the sound after your have enetred you logon details).

Go to System->Preferences->Gnome logon sound.

The command will contain a string like

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"

This can be made quieter by adding --volume="-10" or another value.

You can test this. Open a terminal and type

matthew@matthew-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-10"

Have a play with the -10 value until you find a value you are happy with and then add that value as a string in System->Preferences->Gnome logon sound.

Half way there. Just the drums to make quieter now.

Kind regards

Pudellvr
January 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, I did. It still played on restart.

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi

Alright. If you can't disable the drums sound when you log in from the System->Administration->login screen, try this. Open a terminal and type

sudo chmod 000 /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/system-ready.ogg

Enter your password. You will not see it echoed to the screen. This is normal. Reboot and try again.

Hopefully that will disable the drums sound and you can now disable or quieten the other logon sound. (from post 12)

Kind regards

Pudellvr
January 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
You can test this. Open a terminal and type

matthew@matthew-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-10"Have a play with the -10 value until you find a value you are happy with and then add that value as a string in System->Preferences->Gnome logon sound.

Half way there. Just the drums to make quieter now.

Kind regards

recd the following error "Failed to play sound: Sound disabled"

I do appreciate your help.

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi

recd the following error "Failed to play sound: Sound disabled"

Blimy. What is going on with your PC ? :confused: When are you getting that error message? When you try to play it in the terminal ?

Are you still getting the loud drum sound when the gdm logon screen is displayed? Are you still getting the sound when it is loading gnome?

Please post the output of

ls -l /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo That is a small L (for the drum sound)

also please post the output of

system->preferences->Startup applications->Gnome login sound->edit->command

Kind regards

Pudellvr
January 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
I assume that it means I have the login sound disabled. I promise you it is not ticked but when I log in I keep earphones plugged into the computer. I am afraid that it is loud enough to pop the speakers. Both the drum beat and the ahhhs! I have to go to work now and will be aftk until tonight. My other dell laptop that I loaded ubuntu onto a lattitude 1404 does not have this problem. I actually reloaded this one twice due to this problem.

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Hi

_Exactly_ what have you tried so far?

Give me the steps you have taken to disable or quieten the sounds.

Have you tried all the solutions i have presented? Unticking that box on the logon screen was only one solution i proffered.

Kind regards

Pudellvr
January 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer back. Our school semester started back so my daughter is
using the laptop all morning. I work every evening. I will try your newest fix soon and post
results. This is what I have tried so far.:popcorn:

System->Administration->Logon screen and uncheck Play log-in sound
Did this no change in either sound

this had no effect

matthew@matthew-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-10"
same with this--it was a duplicate right?

Received this error "Failed to play sound: Sound disabled"

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hi

this had no effect

No. Try (in the terminal)

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-20"

Notice the volume switch. Play with the value of --volume="-20"
in the terminal until you get a comfortable volume. Make sure it's a negative number

When you are comfortable with the volume go to

System->Preferences->Startup applications. Scroll down to Gnome logon sound.

Click the EDIT button on the right hand side

Copy and paste the string

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-20"

with your preferred volume into the command edit box and click save. That will change the volume of the Gnome logon sound. You can turn that off altogether if you want by unchecking the tick box next to Gnome Logon sound.

To switch off the drums open a terminal and type

and enter your password. You will need to do this if....

System->administration->Login screen: Uncheck play logon sound.

...failed.

I don't know how to make the drums quieter only how to turn them off.

Kind regards

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hi

Please see screen shots. Post below. Internet connection went *hick* ;)

Kind regards

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi

Please see screen shots. Hopefully they will make it clearer.

If that does not work then i am a bit stumped, as it works on all my machine running Ubuntu.

Kind regards

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi

...and here is another screen shot.

Kind regards

Pudellvr
January 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
file:///home/tricia/Desktop/Link%20to%20error%20msg%201.pngfile:///tmp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/pudellvr/linux/Screenshot.png

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hi

Oh dogs dinner!!!!

usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login" --volume="-20"

It should be /usr/.....

Look here. Notice the initial / to make the path absolute.

My / key is sticking sometimes. Must clean my keyboard.

Try that.

I have edited my other post.

Kind regards

Stubbs3
January 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I have the same exact issue only im going through 4 channels of a 50 Watt amplifier! Startles me every time!
I have done 3 complete ubuntu reinstalls (for other reasons). 2 of 9.04 and 1 of 10.04. In my case Ive noticed that it would only startup at max volume at login (drums and ahhhh) after installing pulse audio equalizer. System volume would normally be at low during exit and at desktop screen after startup.
Not sure of any of this is the same for you. I'm still looking for a answer.
Ive tried matt_symes (http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1067998) but it did not work for me.
Thanks though matt. :KS
Code:

matt_symes
January 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hi

In my case Ive noticed that it would only startup at max volume at login (drums and ahhhh) after installing pulse audio equalizer

That's really odd. I also have pulse audio equaliser installed but it still works for me. Did you try turning both sounds off as opposed to just down?

It must be some setting somewhere though.

Kind regards

Stubbs3
February 9th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Tried it again matt and it worked! For 2 of my PC's
Thanks again, Stubbs:guitar:

towheedm
February 9th, 2011, 03:54 AM
And to replace your login sound without replacing the desktop-login.ogg file, replace --id="desktop-login" with:

--file="/dir/newloginsound.ogg|oga|wav"

Note that the path must be an absolute path, ie: /home/user/sound/loginsound, not ~/sound/loginsound.