PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7??

joelkat
December 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Do you need to download drivers to get on the internet like I did for xp?

cascade9
December 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Depends on your hardware.

BTW, this isnt realy a window suport forum, you'd be better off asking this in a more suitable forum.

donkyhotay
December 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
depends on your hardware.

Btw, this isnt realy a window suport forum, you'd be better off asking this in a more suitable forum.

+ 1

Grenage
December 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Do you need to download drivers to get on the internet like I did for xp?

Possibly.

Tristam Green
December 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I didn't.

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums, home of Windows support! :-k

3Miro
December 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
It depends on your network card and the exact version of windows that you get. If you get a CD form your vendor, then you should be fine. Otherwise, I don't know.

Now, lets go to a windows forum and ask a Linux support question. I wonder what response that would get (although I guess it depends on the forum).

cgroza
December 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
It depends on your network card and the exact version of windows that you get. If you get a CD form your vendor, then you should be fine. Otherwise, I don't know.

Now, lets go to a windows forum and ask a Linux support question. I wonder what response that would get (although I guess it depends on the forum).
Usually they won't even know what we are talking about. We know Windows, the reverse is not always true.

samalex
December 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I didn't.

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums, home of Windows support! :-k

Not that I advocate Windows related questions in here, but it's nice to see someone can come into a Linux forum, ask a Windows question, and not only get valid replies but also not get flamed. Try asking about Ubuntu in a Windows forum and you're likely to get hammered.

3Miro
December 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Not that I advocate Windows related questions in here, but it's nice to see someone can come into a Linux forum, ask a Windows question, and not only get valid replies but also not get flamed. Try asking about Ubuntu in a Windows forum and you're likely to get hammered.

Which brings up the good question. Why did the OP even decided to post this here?

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
There's a much better chance you won't have to search for drivers in Win7 than on XP. I remember what a pain XP was to get working from scratch. 7 is not like XP was.

Which brings up the good question. Why did the OP even decided to post this here?

At least he posted it in the Cafe instead of the Ubuntu support forums. :)

joelkat
December 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
well sorry for askin

bug67
December 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Depends on your hardware.

BTW, this isnt realy a window suport forum, you'd be better off asking this in a more suitable forum.

+1

Don't be sorry though.

Check out sevenforums.com (http://www.sevenforums.com/)

Great community of extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks...kinda like here only for Windows 7. ;)

cgroza
December 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
This thread is going to be closed soon.

Spr0k3t
December 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I went there... to 7forums of all places, notorious for painting on the hate of all elements not built around Microsoft. Turns out there are quite a few poeple there who use Linux and were sort of helpful to simple questions. Of course, you can't have all good, but the general cordialness was on the up rather than GTFONoob.

http://www.sevenforums.com/chillout-room/27413-ubuntu-anyone.html

bug67
December 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Don't know what happened. Multiple posts.

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
well sorry for askin

You got jumped on, but you also got some real answers.

lisati
December 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Dealt with for you.

Anyway, welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

Although the primary focus of this forum is tech support for the Ubuntu flavours of Linux-based operating systems, you'll probably find that many of the regulars are sufficiently tech savvy to offer some help with the occasional question relating to other systems, including Windows.

lisati
December 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Dealt with for you.

Although the primary focus of this forum is tech support for the Ubuntu flavours of Linux-based operating systems, you'll probably find that many of the regulars are sufficiently tech savvy to offer some help with the occasional question relating to other systems, including Windows.

Grenage
December 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Dealt with for you.

x3

/grin.

lisati
December 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
x3

/grin.

Noticed and further double post deleted. Our favourite forum seems to have had one of its "moments"......

joelkat
December 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
thank most of you for the helpful posts

Giant Speck
December 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Windows 7 installed on my five-year-old Toshiba laptop without me having to go in and install drivers manually. It all really depends on what hardware you're working with.