PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Gremlinzzz
December 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Pollution and weather are linked together in such a way that pollution produces both direct and indirect changes in weather and environment. Pollution is the addition of harmful substances to the environment so that there are disastrous effects on health, the ecosystem and natural resources. Pollution and weather is a matter of concern because if pollution is not controlled, there will be extremely serious problems of weather conditions.
Question is has the weather changed much where you live?

Sean Moran
December 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I've lived here in Perth, Western Australia. Latitude 31° 60'S - Longitude 115° 50' E for 43 years and one day, and season for season, on the whole, as much as I'd like to rave on about the devastation of global warming and all that, it's still much the same as it always was.

I'm also right on the coast, so we generally get strong, fresh, afternoon sea breezes that keep the air breathable too, so this little part of the world is not a good example of the negative effects of pollution. Maybe further inland by 15-20 miles things are less friendly to asthmatics, but the weather hasn't really changed at all over the past 43 years and a day. Not over a roughly averaged anecdotal estimate anyway.
Meteorologists might beg to differ.

sdowney717
December 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
cult ideology of global warming or global cooling?

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2008-09-09-farmers-almanac_N.htm
farmers almanac predicted cooling trend in 2008
and to run for decades as does this weather scientist in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkzNmWlCig8&feature=player_embedded

http://weatheraction.com/

both of these cooling people make the claim it is the solar cycle which makes it cold or warm

DUBLIN, N.H. — The Old Farmer's Almanac is going further out on a limb than usual this year, not only forecasting a cooler winter, but looking ahead decades to suggest we are in for global cooling, not warming.

Based on the same time-honored, complex calculations it uses to predict weather, the Almanac hits the newsstands on Tuesday saying a study of solar activity and corresponding records on ocean temperatures and climate point to a cooler, not warmer, climate, for perhaps the next half century.

"We at the Almanac are among those who believe that sunspot cycles and their effects on oceans correlate with climate changes," writes meteorologist and climatologist Joseph D'Aleo. "Studying these and other factor suggests that cold, not warm, climate may be our future."

Gremlinzzz
December 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
The principal forms of air pollution that affect weather are numerous. Acid rain is a form of pollution which is produced when sulfur dioxide and the oxides of nitrogen get absorbed by rain. The resulting rain badly disturbs the acidity of soil and water bodies. It breaks down carbonate rocks and marble buildings. It can destroy the life of fish in streams and rivers. Pollution also leads to global warming and reduction of the ozone layer. As a result of this there will be a rise in the sea level, extreme weather conditions and extinction of several species.
Choloroflurocarbon, a byproduct of air pollution does a lot of damage to the ozone layer. The other effects of air pollution on weather are haze and smog. The alarmingly high levels of particulate pollutants like smoke and sulfur dioxide obstruct normal vision and pose a serious threat to human health.

Pollution and weather are topics which are discussed in relation to one another because they are quite inseparable.

Gremlinzzz
December 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
posted twice

sdowney717
December 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
pollutants like smoke and sulfur dioxide
these pollutants cause cooling not warming due to less solar light coming thru.

Are you worried about the island tipping over and also global warming?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

sdowney717
December 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-07/ff_geoengineering?currentPage=all

lets pump a bunch of sulfur dioxide into the air and lower the sunlight coming in to cause what??

ok,
global cooling, but if we are already entering a cooling trend this will make it really cold.
less sunlight and cold short growing season means less energy for food plants, for people and animals, less food for ocean animals.
All this means death for billions and perhaps wipe out extinction events.

When big volcanoes erupt, gases they release cause cooling like sulfur compounds and ash, this blocks sunlight, the world enters a cool phase, and harvests suffer and people and animals suffer.

End goal for some may be get rid of peaking issues, like peak oil, peak c02, peak food, peak people. So perhaps in these geo engineering mindsets, it gets down to getting rid of peak people and all the problems go away.

V for Vincent
December 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone can say just what is or isn't happening to the climate because of pollution. The matter is too complex to be grasped even by climate scientists. Therefore, I tend to mistrust people who claim to possess clear-cut answers.

That said, the weather here has clearly changed in the last few decades, for whatever reason. Summers and winters have gotten more intense. Also, I do believe that it's better to be safe than sorry, so I tend to give the environmentalist explanation the benefit of the doubt.

ruben_linux
December 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
we just have to watch tv to know the weather is crazy:mad:

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
It's worth it because of all of the benefits we get from what causes the pollution.

uRock
December 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Sadly, the only way to lower pollution is through population control. The Earth is overpopulated. There is no way to feed and clothe everyone without creating pollution.

Whether or not our pollution is causing changes to our weather is negotiable, but sooner or later we are going to run out of places to put land fills and we will run out of crude oil which will cause a major world war, which will be the population control needed to sustain life on Earth. Provided said war doesn't go nuclear.

juancarlospaco
December 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Oxygen is allways decreasing on this planet, ...since Dinosaurs,
at these times lightining produce an explosion of fire when hit the ground,
due to the fact that theres too much oxygen on the air.

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
but sooner or later we are going to run out of places to put land fills and we will run out of crude oil which will cause a major world war
True about the landfills. We'll have to start sending capsules into space. :)

But where's sdowney717 to back me up on the "crude oil is a renewable resource" theory?

handy
December 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Scientists have reported that the Gulf Stream, is flowing incredibly slowly at the moment.

Due to the effect it has on the local ocean current temperatures & therefore weather, some say that this is why the record coldest winters are being recorded in parts of Europe & New York is buried in snow.

The Gulf Stream stopping its movement has been said to have the ability to cause a mini-ice-age in the northern hemisphere.

Hopefully that is not about to happen, as it can apparently happen very quickly when it does.

The slow down has been officially denied by the US government, which usually means the opposite.

So, time will tell.

This is a very informative article:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=10046

Dixon Bainbridge
December 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Pollution and weather are linked together in such a way that pollution produces both direct and indirect changes in weather and environment. Pollution is the addition of harmful substances to the environment so that there are disastrous effects on health, the ecosystem and natural resources. Pollution and weather is a matter of concern because if pollution is not controlled, there will be extremely serious problems of weather conditions.
Question is has the weather changed much where you live?

Climate and weather are two very different things. Pollution affects climate. Climate is global. Weather is local.

Gremlinzzz
December 30th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Scientists have reported that the Gulf Stream, is flowing incredibly slowly at the moment.

Due to the effect it has on the local ocean current temperatures & therefore weather, some say that this is why the record coldest winters are being recorded in parts of Europe & New York is buried in snow.

The Gulf Stream stopping its movement has been said to have the ability to cause a mini-ice-age in the northern hemisphere.

Hopefully that is not about to happen, as it can apparently happen very quickly when it does.

The slow down has been officially denied by the US government, which usually means the opposite.

So, time will tell.

This is a very informative article:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=10046

The gulf stream has it slowed or stopped?

Gremlinzzz
December 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM
What could change the water temperature that much could it be the gulf oil spill plus the melting ice? how would we know if it stops? Better buy some stock in thermal under wear.
because if its this cold when it slows what,s it going to be like when it stops!

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Scientists have reported that the Gulf Stream, is flowing incredibly slowly at the moment [...] The slow down has been officially denied by the US government

The slowdown is not being "denied", and not by the government. Rather, the slowdown is not being observed, by the scientists: http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2010/2010GL042372.shtml
In fact, this research shows that circulation sped up by 20% during the last 16 years.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Apparently slowed & the north Atlantic core of the stream has moved further north.

There is no single this or that involved in the causing of climate & therefore weather changes, or of the changes in the ocean currents. It is a combination of natural phenomena & human effect.

The enormous amount of fresh water coming into the north Atlantic from Greenland & the Arctic is surely having an effect on the Gulf Stream, as is la Nina, the Sun, our atmospheric make up, the effects of cities on weather, the damming & use of most of the water in so many rivers, to the point that so little fresh water runs into the oceans & seas as they have done since in this temperate period since the last ice-age; the destruction of so much of the forests on the planet. Large scale monoculture being used as the predominant farming practice in so much of the world.

All this & so much more has an effect on this tiny little planet's biosphere.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 01:44 AM
The slowdown is not being "denied", and not by the government. Rather, the slowdown is not being observed, by the scientists: http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2010/2010GL042372.shtml
In fact, this research shows that circulation sped up by 20% during the last 16 years.

http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/

Lies & statistics eh!

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/
Lies & statistics eh!

Lots of random fluctuations, but I don't think there is a trend there (http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/anim.shtml)
And yes, I do develop statistical methodology aka lies for a living :)

sdowney717
December 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM
snow pack and coverage in Siberia is growing more than usual.
So what you get is sunlight reflected back to space.
So, you get colder weather in the northern hemisphere.

you just dont hear this at all!

http://libertypundits.net/article/cold-wind-blowing-antarctic-ice-at-30-year-high/

30-year minimum Antarctic snowmelt
– Significant negative correlations exist at regional and continental scales between austral summer melting and both the ENSO and SAM indices (NOTE: Remember the Warmists told us that global warming would enhance the El-Niño effect and thereby accelerate the warming of the planet? It seems there is a “negative correlation.” Must have lost a +/- sign somewhere in the calcs, eh?)

So, another dagger in the Warmist heart. Is it shocking by any measure that this report has not been pimped by the dead-tree media?

article predicting much much colder weather till 2060!
And predicted in 2006 to start in a few years and has it now started?
http://www.physorg.com/news75818795.html

interesting article explaining why the cold weather all over the northern hemisphere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opinion/26cohen.html?_r=1

The sun’s energy reflects off the bright white snow and escapes back out to space. As a result, the temperature cools. When snow cover is more abundant in Siberia, it creates an unusually large dome of cold air next to the mountains, and this amplifies the standing waves in the atmosphere, just as a bigger rock in a stream increases the size of the waves of water flowing by.

Antarctica ice is at 30 year highs.
frankly I think were heading towards another ice age.

The "Snowball Earth" theory which who knows if it ever really occurred, could happen if you get more and more white snow reflecting sun light heat back to space and it just feeds on itself. What melted snowball earth was tremendous amount of volcanism. Otherwise, the planet would just stay locked in a snowy, icy embrace forever.

IRONIC would it not be if someday we wished more CO2 and water vapor and methane was around to keep the planet from freezing solid?
Even if it drops only a little bit, that will keep the plant growth down and food scarcity will rise and more famines and deaths will result. Plus being hard on the entire ecosystem.

Europe’s winter set to be the “coldest in 300 years”
http://cubachi.com/2010/12/29/europes-winter-set-to-be-the-coldest-in-300-years/

Whether rain, snow, sleet, rain, cold, hot… global warming is their answer. However other scientists say this weather pattern is proof of a mini Ice Age coming. This winter is set to be the worst and coldest in Europe since 1683-1684.

seenthelite
December 30th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Weather this month where I live, rainfall, the long term average for December is 132.0mm 12.7 day(s) we have had 545.2mm 25 day(s) the previous record for December was 212.4mm 2004. It seems things are changing.

MisterGaribaldi
December 30th, 2010, 04:21 AM
*yawn*

Sorry, don't believe in global warming or climate change. Given the fraud it is being proven to be, I'm surprised anyone's still talking about it.

Besides, I thought political and religious discussion was prohibited on UF.

matthew.ball
December 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM
"[P]roven"? Strong word.

Gremlinzzz
December 30th, 2010, 05:08 AM
The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:
The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years.1
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Nasa says its real!

handy
December 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Lots of random fluctuations, but I don't think there is a trend there (http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/anim.shtml)
And yes, I do develop statistical methodology aka lies for a living :)

I studied stat's too, it was the easiest branch of mathematics I've played in. It was a lot of fun. :)

I'm not going to get involved in a repeat of this argument here. Everyone will trot out their favourite theories & the many groundless exceptions created by both sides, as so many of the scientists are vying for attention so as to attract or maintain there financial backing. A living often funded by biased entities moreover.

So it will be interesting to see how far this thread goes before it gets personal & the mods close it.

Historically, in the forum many take fundamentalist views on these & associated subjects unfortunately.

I prefer to just keep reading the many varied views & scientific accounts & try to maintain the flexibility required to aid my growing understanding.

I too hope it all turns out to be another gross scientific misunderstanding or conspiracy for whatever reason.

Though until the proof comes out in that regard, I will maintain my flexible open mind on the subject as I continue to study it.

So bye bye... ):P

Khakilang
December 30th, 2010, 05:50 AM
With trees being cut for development surely contribute to global warming. Have more trees and less people.

Brent0
December 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Trees being cut down is not a problem. As the logging companies cut, they also replant. It's not like they just keep cutting and cutting. They would be out of the job very quickly if they did. Maybe they did years ago in the industrial revolution when they didn't know any better, but not today.
I heard from someone that logging companies actually do far more for the lively-hood of trees than any environmentalist organization. :p

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I studied stat's too, it was the easiest branch of mathematics I've played in. It was a lot of fun. :)

I'm not going to get involved in a repeat of this argument here. Everyone will trot out their favourite theories & the many groundless exceptions created by both sides, as so many of the scientists are vying for attention so as to attract or maintain there financial backing. A living often funded by biased entities moreover.

There is nothing in the links you have posted that suggests that the Gulf Stream is slowing. It's as simple as that.

I said nothing about climate change.

Brent0
December 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
And on the subject of weather, in Chicago, the winters have been consecutively record-breaking cold. We had snowfall in late November which is rare and a good amount of snow this month. It's been more than I remember in the past.
I tend to lean toward the "Global Cooling" theory but I believe it isn't caused by us. Why don't we ever just blame the Earth for any uncommon natural occurrences? :p

handy
December 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
@Brento: Fortunately I have sworn off of this thread, so I won't ask you to tell me about the logging or any other company for that matter, that are replacing the over 20% & growing fast, of the Amazon jungle that has been thus far destroyed?

http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm

It is a really good idea to do some research before you make your statement. We all make ignorant statements from time to time. We learn & try not to do it again. Until the next time. :)

Stating what our friend, the TV, or the news paper for example, told us, & thinking that the information is true is a very dangerous thing to do. Well, dangerous if you are truly interested in trying to find the truth about a matter.

[edit:] As far as the cooling is concerned, have you actually read this thread & its links? I think not.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
There is nothing in the links you have posted that suggests that the Gulf Stream is slowing. It's as simple as that.

I said nothing about climate change.

You didn't see the change in the animations?

inobe
December 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
handy it's that folks like the tabloids and tell us how cold it is in their backyard but nothing matters outside their dome.

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I tend to lean toward the "Global Cooling" theory but I believe it isn't caused by us. Why don't we ever just blame the Earth for any uncommon natural occurrences? :p

Why does it matter what is causing catastrophic climate changes (we vs. Nature)? Nearly every species ever existed on Earth are extinct. Would it be better if humanity goes extinct due to "natural" causes rather than due to its own fault? Well, if we go, there wouldn't be any one to judge. :) The whole question is ill posed. We shouldn't seek who or what to blame, instead we should focus on what to do to survive.

Brent0
December 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
@Brento: Fortunately I have sworn off of this thread, so I won't ask you to tell me about the logging or any other company for that matter, that are replacing the over 20% & growing fast, of the Amazon jungle that has been thus far destroyed?

http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm

It is a really good idea to do some research before you make your statement. We all make ignorant statements from time to time. We learn & try not to do it again. Until the next time. :)

Stating what our friend, the TV, or the news paper for example, told us, & thinking that the information is true is a very dangerous thing to do. Well, dangerous if you are truly interested in trying to find the truth about a matter.

[edit:] As far as the cooling is concerned, have you actually read this thread & its links? I think not.

Sorry for being ignorant to the "facts". I should have done my research. *Hangs head in shame* :-#
Just forget I even said anything. lol

I did read the thread (Not the links) and was not interested in the pollution portion because it isn't an issue in my area. I am really just commenting on all of the climate change conversations going on.

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
You didn't see the change in the animations?

There is nothing there.

Brent0
December 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Why does it matter what is causing catastrophic climate changes (we vs. Nature)? Nearly ever species ever existed on Earth are extinct. Would it be better if humanity goes extinct due to "natural" causes rather than due to its own fault? Well, if we go, there wouldn't be any one to judge. :) The whole question is ill posed. We shouldn't seek who or what to blame, instead we should focus on what to do to survive.

That statement was purely sarcasm. I was really just jabbing at everyone who shouts "Global Warming!" at every little natural occurrence like a drought and famine for example. I really do agree with everything you said.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Why does it matter what is causing catastrophic climate changes (we vs. Nature)? Nearly ever species ever existed on Earth are extinct. Would it be better if humanity goes extinct due to "natural" causes rather than due to its own fault? Well, if we go, there wouldn't be any one to judge. :) The whole question is ill posed. We shouldn't seek who or what to blame, instead we should focus on what to do to survive.

I did not blame humanity in my first post here. I pointed out that it is a complex situation with many players in the game humanity playing only a part with natural forces.

The 1st thing required to survive any problem is to admit that there is a problem.

The 2nd thing to do is to create a survival strategy.

The 3rd thing is to unite your resources & go for the aforementioned solution.
_________

Humanity has the problem of powerful corporate controlled governments that don't demonstrate a cohesive approach to these problems to the people, far from it in actual fact.

Some of their departments say that there is no problem here it is a load of rubbish. Whilst at the same time in the US for example, the military takes the problem very seriously & is spending a lot of budget money & development time to help them be better prepared than anyone else for the associated problems.

Where does this leave Jo/sephine average?

Confused, ignorant & usually doing nothing about the situation as the politics have created inertia in the masses.

Which begs the question: Do the powers that be want to create inertia in the masses?

& if so, why?

I know, I've pushed the topic to the edge of politics which can't go far in the UF these days. Sorry about that.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
There is nothing there.

That's your opinion.

& so it goes.

Elfy
December 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Handy - you know as well as I do that discussing any environmental issue on here is akin to beating yourself about the head with a wet fish - unfortunately :(

It's why I never bother ...

handy
December 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Handy - you know as well as I do that discussing any environmental issue on here is akin to beating yourself about the head with a wet fish - unfortunately :(

It's why I never bother ...

I do, I do know... ](*,)

Perhaps where you & I differ is that I seem to present as a masochist in these circumstances & you are a mod... Which some would argue means that you have a predisposition towards the sadistic bent of human nature. :)

Though I wouldn't be so bold as to even intimate such a thing. As I too am a mod elsewhere & thus far have managed to keep my potentially sadistic tendencies concealed (or at least under control)... :lolflag:

Elfy
December 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I do, I do know... ](*,)

Perhaps where you & I differ is that I seem to present as a masochist in these circumstances & you are a mod... Which some would argue means that you have a predisposition towards the sadistic bent of human nature. :)

Though I wouldn't be so bold as to even intimate such a thing. As I too am a mod elsewhere & thus far have managed to keep my potentially sadistic tendencies concealed (or at least under control)... :lolflag:

Nothing to do with being a mod - I just gave up with the headbutting thing long before I was either a mod or even a member here :lol:

Of course I couldn't possibly comment on any sadistic predispositions I might have. Leave that for others ...

And now I have posted twice in such a thread - I shall blame you henceforth

handy
December 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Nothing to do with being a mod - I just gave up with the headbutting thing long before I was either a mod or even a member here :lol:

I know, I was just taking the opportunity to give you a friendly jab. :)

Of course I couldn't possibly comment on any sadistic predispositions I might have. Leave that for others ...

I could start a poll if you like?

And now I have posted twice in such a thread - I shall blame you henceforth

Cancel the poll. [-X

Elfy
December 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Jabs - headbutts - and now polls ... :(

Oh my - I'd need a cup of tea :p

handy
December 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Jabs - headbutts - and now polls ... :(

Oh my - I'd need a cup of tea :p

Careful, there could be a storm in that cup...

:lolflag:

Elfy
December 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Careful, there could be a storm in that cup...

caused by enhanced global warming ... ;)

handy
December 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
caused by enhanced global warming ... ;)

It may not be.

It could be due to the gravitational effect on the surface area of your tea cup (though admittedly you certainly would need a VERY large tea cup for this effect to be noticeable).

The effect would be something akin to the 5 great whirlpools in our oceans caused by the previously mentioned effect of gravity on such a large surface area.

As it is there are two whirlpools in both the Pacific & Atlantic oceans & one in the Indian ocean.

I really can't imagine anyone has tea cup that big.

You'd have to drink it with a straw, & it would go cold too quick, though I hear that some like cold tea...

[edit:] Perhaps you are a masochist after all... :)

DZ*
December 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
re: "there is nothing there in the animations"

That's your opinion.
& so it goes.

Can't do any better by looking at a gif, sorry. However, I posted a link to a scientific publication that did analysis of underlying data from satellite altimeters. The conclusion is: there is no evidence for slowing down of Gulf Stream. Not yet anyway. Post a link to a credible source (by that I mean peer reviewed scientific publication) that shows otherwise.

Grenage
December 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
The weather has changed so much over the last few million years. CO2 levels were apparently far higher during the reign on the dinosaurs, and there were some ice-ages packed in.

"Since records began" is a laughably short time scale to judge our climate.

I think that population is our main problem, and one of its side-effects is pollution on a large scale. I think that strict breeding controls are required, but that's something for another thread - or forum.

Ideally, we would create less pollution simply because pollution is bad, rather than the possibility that it might somehow tame the weather.

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

eventually... ;)

juancarlospaco
December 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Dolphins are evolved creatures, smarter than us, they have feet to walk on the past,
but they get into the water again; when all big ice melt down, and oceans increase, over continents,
Dolphins will overtake the world, they are just watching... and waiting...

Sandyd will agree i think

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Dolphins are evolved creatures, smarter than us, they have feet to walk on the past,
but they get into the water again; when all big ice melt down, and oceans increase, over continents,

So long and thanks for all the fish ;)

msandoy
December 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Well, lets all put our full trust in the nice people discussing how to stop climate change. And lets ban dihydrogen monoxide.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/08/cop16-attendees-fall-for-the-old-dihydrogen-monoxide-petition-as-well-as-signing-up-to-cripple-the-u-s-economy/

Do we still trust these people? Me, I trust them about as far as I can throw them.

handy
December 30th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Well, lets all put our full trust in the nice people discussing how to stop climate change. And lets ban dihydrogen monoxide.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/08/cop16-attendees-fall-for-the-old-dihydrogen-monoxide-petition-as-well-as-signing-up-to-cripple-the-u-s-economy/

Do we still trust these people? Me, I trust them about as far as I can throw them.

So, in your eyes this means that ALL people who are open to the possibility of climate change & are doing something about it are fruit cakes also?

That's ok if you do, have a look at my signature?... ;)

MisterGaribaldi
December 31st, 2010, 12:02 AM
WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

eventually... ;)

ROFL! +1

So long and thanks for all the fish ;)

Ah yes... after all, we're all Mostly Harmless. ;)

Reminds me of a shirt I saw a while ago on CafePress... Had to do some digging before I posted this reply, but I found it!

http://images9.cpcache.com/product/461225259v1_480x480_Front_Color-BlackWhite.jpg

handy
December 31st, 2010, 12:17 AM
re: "there is nothing there in the animations"

Can't do any better by looking at a gif, sorry. However, I posted a link to a scientific publication that did analysis of underlying data from satellite altimeters. The conclusion is: there is no evidence for slowing down of Gulf Stream. Not yet anyway. Post a link to a credible source (by that I mean peer reviewed scientific publication) that shows otherwise.

We had a couple of friends over the other day. They have been putting in 5 big days a week for over 3 years now, in their efforts to turn my local area (which is perfect for the task) into an area used for R&D by multiple disciplines of science.

The R&D would focus on ways for the town & wider agricultural community to adapt to the predicted problems associated with climate change, the energy crises, water crises, food crises, & projected population growth in the coming decades. The knowledge gained from this work could then be adapted & used modularly as applicable to other towns all over the country & perhaps in other parts of the world also.

My friends have not succeeded in getting the government to accept the Gloucester Project, but they are hopeful, as the local council is on side as is our local member of federal parliament, branches of the CSIRO, some universities & other specialised government departments.

We have a state government election coming up in 2011, we know that there will be change of state government after this election, so just what effect that has we can't be sure.

Anyway, from that long introduction (in an effort to gain some credibility for my source) it was one of these two friends (also a scientist) that told me that the Gulf Stream had slowed & that it is the reason for the record breaking cold weather being experienced in the associated parts of the world.

These two people are in close contact with highly regarded weather experts, so I would think that the information has come via these sources.

I will be seeing my friends again tonight I think, so I'll ask if there is any web based info' that I could point you to DZ*.

msandoy
December 31st, 2010, 02:39 PM
So, in your eyes this means that ALL people who are open to the possibility of climate change & are doing something about it are fruit cakes also?

That's ok if you do, have a look at my signature?... ;)

I'm actually just stating an example. I do believe that humans affect the climate in a certain way, but all these guys yelling about doomsday is really not helping. They're just out to take your money.

handy
January 1st, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'm actually just stating an example. I do believe that humans affect the climate in a certain way, but all these guys yelling about doomsday is really not helping. They're just out to take your money.

I agree, there are far too many unscrupulous people who will make money out of anything.

Such people in collaboration with the mostly ignorant masses who are born into (inherited) the paradigm of consumerism & rarely if ever give it a thought are to a very large extent responsible for the environmental devastation of the planet & all of the effects that such imbalances in the biosphere bring with it.

I expect this next decade to be a shake-up wakeup call for many people on the planet. I think we will see an increase in violent weather around the world & a decrease in the financial stability of the world, which is already rocky in parts. The people of developed countries are going to become increasingly poorer.

It is not going to be anywhere near as easy, comfortable & secure as the last decade was.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong.

@DZ*: I was too tired to go out last night, but I will be seeing my friend here on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll remember to ask her for reference on the Gulf Stream slow down.

cgroza
January 1st, 2011, 12:40 AM

Maybe during your REM sleep.

sdowney717
January 1st, 2011, 02:29 AM
ROFL! +1

Ah yes... after all, we're all Mostly Harmless. ;)

Reminds me of a shirt I saw a while ago on CafePress... Had to do some digging before I posted this reply, but I found it!

http://images9.cpcache.com/product/461225259v1_480x480_Front_Color-BlackWhite.jpg

ha ha!
I just had to post this after seeing the DHMO ban
AND NOT A JOKE!

EPA Seeks To Have Water Vapor Classified As A Pollutant
http://www.ecoenquirer.com/EPA-water-vapor.htm

a few excerpts of ridiculousness

EPA Director of the Department of Pollutant Decrees, Ray Donaldson, said, "Back before carbon dioxide was dangerous, we simply assumed that water vapor was also benign. But all reputable scientists now agree that the increased water vapor content of the atmosphere from such sources as burning of fuels and power plant cooling towers will also enhance the greenhouse effect, leading to potentially catastrophic warming."

"Right now, we are not so concerned about the water vapor exhaled by people. That is low on our list of priorities", said Mr. Donaldson. "We'll tackle that manmade source at a later time."

WHAT are they going to do to me, I exhale co2 and water vapor!
Makes me think they are anti-life haters.

HAHA folks, the more water vapor, the hotter it gets, and the hotter it gets the more water vapor.
loose loose situation. Planet should have melted down millenia ago in the age of the dinos. But it did not.

Trolen
January 1st, 2011, 03:51 AM
It's 4:51 in the Morning here in Greece.It's Freezing ,and i am trying to learn about the Linux OS.

handy
January 1st, 2011, 05:53 AM
It's 4:51 in the Morning here in Greece.It's Freezing ,and i am trying to learn about the Linux OS.

Welcome to the forum. :)

A little tip, posting in bold or capitals is considered bad etiquette, at least in this forum.

Have fun learning, this forum is a great (if not the best) place to solve your Ubuntu problems.