PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu should switch from Debian to Android?

Johnsie
December 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
If Android becomes more compatible with bigger screens and more powerful computers, should Ubuntu switch from Debian to Andorid?

NightwishFan
December 29th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Well Android is just linux isn't it? Debian is already set up as a general purpose multi-arch multi-kernel operating system, so it is perfect as a base.

Johnsie
December 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Debian is ancient and doesn't have the same level of app growth/development.

cascade9
December 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Debian is ancient and doesn't have the same level of app growth/development.

Ancient? LOL. Debian has been around for a long time, but its not ancient.

Android might be having a lot of apps appear, but its goignt o take a long time (if ever) for android to have more programs than debian.

jeffymarts
December 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
This is definitely something that will only become clear as time passes. The idea is actually pretty cool, but one thing I see that could hinder this is why would Google having released Chrome OS want to make applications for PCs? They definitely won't want to do this right away, as in any time soon, as it would conflict with the release of Chrome OS. But I guess that after Chrome OS has been released for a bit it wouldn't actually be a good idea for them to saturate the market even more with moving into desktop/laptop applications.

inobe
December 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
lacks standard gnu libraries, that makes it difficult to port, the kernel is modified, they built it with their own kernel tree which is not really open until the code is changed again "what it seems" i forget the term for it but whatever it is' it doesn't help.

3Miro
December 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Android is for phones. Debian (and Ubuntu) are for desktops. Don't confuse the two.

There are more applications in the Debian repository than any other distribution (including Android). If Ubuntu switches this will only be a step back (and a big one).

Dragonbite
December 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
If Android becomes more compatible with bigger screens and more powerful computers, should Ubuntu switch from Debian to Andorid?

I think their focus, though, is to get Chrome OS for the larger screens and it runs, from what I've heard, on top of a heavily modified Ubuntu.

Android is a Java platform, Chrome OS is a browser interface on top of Linux. I think Android is going to be too restricted.

samalex
December 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Honestly I think if ChromeOS was created as a distro of Linux with the ability to boot into other Windows Managers and run any major Linux app that would be a huge plus. But it's basically just an OS wrapped around a browser which IMO isn't worth much.

Dragonbite
December 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Honestly I think if ChromeOS was created as a distro of Linux with the ability to boot into other Windows Managers and run any major Linux app that would be a huge plus. But it's basically just an OS wrapped around a browser which IMO isn't worth much.

And what would differentiate it from any other Linux distro? The Chrome OS's purpose is to move as much as possible to the web so that you could, theoretically, have your netbook, tablet and desktop Chrome/Chromium browser all sync'd with Apps and Extensions and do everything online. Instead of trying to remember which system you downloaded it on, or to find this system can do it, but the one you are at cannot.

It takes some getting used to, and some adjustment on thinking, to get into the Chrome OS way of doing things but for Linux users that shouldn't be too bad if one came from Windows to Linux. We already understand there are different ways of doing things and different thinking. Chrome OS is just different again.