PDA

View Full Version : IBM announces solid-state memory breakthrough

leclerc65
December 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/IBM-racetrack-memory/

ubunterooster
December 29th, 2010, 01:20 AM
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/IBM-racetrack-memory/
"IBM announced what appears to be a breakthrough in its development of "racetrack" memory, which stores data by manipulating the magnetic state of regions -- magnetic domain walls -- within nanowires. The "radically new" storage technology could result in storage devices with the speed and reliability of flash memory, along with the low cost and storage capacity of magnetic disk drives, the company says."

ikt
December 29th, 2010, 02:16 AM
product to be released 2020...

GabrielYYZ
December 29th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Research regarding racetrack memory is ongoing, and IBM provided no timetable for its commercialization. However, the company promises, "this memory could someday enable a single portable device to store all the movies produced worldwide in a given year -- and run on a single battery for weeks at a time.

whoa...

SSDs aren't even widely used yet and there are already plans to make a better kind of HD.

now let's discontinue the IDE and floppy connectors, replace PCI connectors for PCI-E and change from BIOS to UEFI and i'll be a very, very happy guy. :lolflag:

Dr. C
December 29th, 2010, 02:40 AM
whoa...

SSDs aren't even widely used yet and there are already plans to make a better kind of HD.

now let's discontinue the IDE and floppy connectors, replace PCI connectors for PCI-E and change from BIOS to UEFI and i'll be a very, very happy guy. :lolflag:

But floppy disks particularly the 5.25in type still do have some uses. How many people are going to search thorough 100+ old 5.25in floppy disks to find the one floppy disk that has the decryption key for the home partition of your state of the art computer with PCE-E only slots, UEFI, and no IDE or floppy connectors?

Gremlinzzz
December 29th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Any breakthrough is a good thing.

Windows Nerd
December 29th, 2010, 04:17 AM
But floppy disks particularly the 5.25in type still do have some uses. How many people are going to search thorough 100+ old 5.25in floppy disks to find the one floppy disk that has the decryption key for the home partition of your state of the art computer with PCE-E only slots, UEFI, and no IDE or floppy connectors?

Yes, I feel the same way: keeping around legacy technologies is good. But why would you keep a decryption key on a floppy?

GabrielYYZ
December 29th, 2010, 04:45 AM

i store my private PGP key and my home partition decryption key on a usb thumb drive with copies on a cd :confused:

i didn't even get a floppy drive for my pc, as i don't have any use for it.