PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with cut command netcat

dodo3773
December 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
So I opened a terminal and fired up netcat. I only wanted to view the Foreign Ip Addresses so I used

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -c 45-65and that gave me

Foreign Address
72.14.213.109:993
66.102.7.100:80
91.189.94.12:80
66.102.7.101:80
91.189.94.12:80
216.156.213.50:80
66.102.7.101:80 There are two things that I am trying to accomplish here. The first is that I would like to "cut" the first three horizontal lines so that the output is only ip addresses. I tried tail but the number of different IPs changes so it still gives me those top lines. I tried head but that doesn't seem to give me any output at all. The second thing I would like to do is to filter out duplicate values. For example the output above has 2 duplicate entries of 66.102.7.101:80 I would only like to see one. If anyone could help me out at all that would be great. Thanks in advance.

lungten
December 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Say your IP address list is sotered in a file called ip.txt. I am guessing you don't need the port numbers. Then, I would do something like this.

cat ip.txt | cut -s -d':' -f1 | sort -u

This will output only the delimited (-s) lines (lines containing : ) and run the output through 'sort' to get a sorted list of unique lines. You can also use the 'unique' command to get a count of occurrence of each of the duplicate lines.

dodo3773
December 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Say your IP address list is sotered in a file called ip.txt. I am guessing you don't need the port numbers. Then, I would do something like this.

cat ip.txt | cut -s -d':' -f1 | sort -uThis will output only the delimited (-s) lines (lines containing : ) and run the output through 'sort' to get a sorted list of unique lines. You can also use the 'unique' command to get a count of occurrence of each of the duplicate lines.

O.K. So I tried

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -s -d ':' -f1But it cut out the second half of the line. So I tried

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -c 45-65 -s -d ':' -f1
and it said "cut: only one type of list may be specified".

When I try

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -s -d':' -f1 | sort -u
I get

tcp 0 0 192.168.1.5
tcp 1 0 192.168.1.5
Which seems to be cleaned up but I need the next field of output. I think that it is sorted the Local Address instead of the Foreign Address. It seems like we are definitely on the right track. Also, I am doing this all from a terminal no text file at all. I would like to just use terminal output (no text file at all) if it is even possible. If it is not just let me know.

dodo3773
December 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM

cat ip.txt | cut -s -d':' -f1 | sort -uThis will output only the delimited (-s) lines (lines containing : ) and run the output through 'sort' to get a sorted list of unique lines. You can also use the 'unique' command to get a count of occurrence of each of the duplicate lines.

Update. So I tried

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -c 45-65 | sort -u

and it gave me

216.156.213.50:80
Foreign Address

Which did work. But now the foreign address is on the bottom instead of top and there is a blank line on top. So, it does not show duplicates but now the output is upside down.

robert_pectol
December 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Lots of plumbing but here goes...

netstat --tcp --numeric | awk '{$1=$1}$1' | cut -d ' ' -f5 | egrep '^[1-9]' | cut -d ':' -f1 | sort | uniq

You can play with the different parts to get the desired results but a quick explanation of each part follows:
awk '{$1=$1}$1' removes spaces from beginning and ending of each line, including extra spaces between fields
cut -d ' ' -f5 selects the 5th field of each line using a single space as the delimiter
egrep '^[1-9]' only prints lines that begin with a number from 1 to 9
cut -d ':' f1 selects the first field of each line using a colon as the delimiter
sort sorts the IP addresses so that duplicates are grouped together
uniq only prints unique lines (duplicate IPs are omitted)

Hope that helps a little.

dodo3773
December 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Lots of plumbing but here goes...

netstat --tcp --numeric | awk '{$1=$1}$1' | cut -d ' ' -f5 | egrep '^[1-9]' | cut -d ':' -f1 | sort | uniq
You can play with the different parts to get the desired results but a quick explanation of each part follows:
awk '{$1=$1}$1' removes spaces from beginning and ending of each line, including extra spaces between fields
cut -d ' ' -f5 selects the 5th field of each line
egrep '^[1-9]' only prints lines that begin with a number from 1 to 9
cut -d ':' f1 selects the first field
sort sorts the IP addresses
uniq only prints unique lines (duplicate IPs are omitted)

Hope that helps a little.

Wow that worked perfectly. Thank you. I was just tinkering around with it and came up with this

netstat --tcp --numeric | cut -c 45-65 | sort -u | sed '/Foreign/d' | sed '/^$/d'which also seemed to work. Thanks a lot you guys for all of your help. I definitely have a lot of learning to do still. Marking thread as solved. Thanks again.