PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Repeated desktop crashing ... but only initially

TheFr00n
December 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi,

So I have a weird problem. I just installed 10.10 desktop on an old-ish box - a 2.4Ghz AMD Athlon. The purpose of this box is to connect to a 3G dongle and share the Internet with the rest of the house. Thus it is set to auto-logon. Not the most secure, I know, but moving briskly on ...

So, it never automatically logs on. Or rather, it tries. When the system powers on, it boots up normally, tries to start X, crashes out, and then returns to the graphical login screen.

From there I can manually log in, and will see the desktop for like a second, but it will crash out again. The weird part is this: if I keep logging in and crashing out, then after a random number of attempts, it suddenly decides to work.

What gives?

From the graphical logon, I can boot into a Failsafe desktop at any time without incident - but of course failsafe has no networking :( so that's no good.

But from a fresh boot, if I try to log into the normal Ubuntu Desktop Edition, X will always crash the first few times I try to log in. I am mystified.

Any ideas?

TheFr00n
December 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Bump?

TheFr00n
January 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
OK, well, so what I did to solve the problem was, I formatted the box and installed Windows XP on it. Everything works like a charm now.