PDA

View Full Version : Which smartphone can run every major OS?

icett
December 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I am about to buy a smartphone within some days. I wish to buy such a smartphone in which I could install all the three major operating systems i.e. Android, ios and Windows phone 7; just like I can install and run Ubuntu, OS X and Windows in my PCs. So kindly inform me which smartphone should I buy? :)

icett
December 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I am about to buy a smartphone within some days. I wish to buy such a smartphone in which I could install all the three major operating systems i.e. Android, ios and Windows phone 7; just like I can install and run Ubuntu, OS X and Windows in my PCs. So kindly inform me which smartphone should I buy? :)

I mean not all 3 operating system at a time but could install each operating system whenever I wish.

asifnaz
December 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I mean not all 3 operating system at a time but could install each operating system whenever I wish.

If by major you mean OSes designed for computers . We are far away from having such a smart phone .

icett
December 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
If by major you mean OSes designed for computers . We are far away from having such a smart phone .

No I mean OSes designed for smartphones not computers.

anaconda
December 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM

I dont think you can get IOS to any other phone than iPhone... Apple doesnt sell IOS separately.
Android and Windows phone 7 you propably could install to a same device, but that would need some hacking.

BTW. How can you say "all the three major operating systems", when you don't even mention the biggest and most popular of then all. Symbian.

mcduck
December 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
At this point the Nokia N900 seems to be able to run largest amount of different mobile operating systems.

You are not going to get iOS on any other device than iPhone, though.

(..and changing the OS of a smartphone isn't usually nearly as easy as it's on a home computer. Not to mention even trying to multi-boot a mobile phone... :D)

Spr0k3t
December 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Last I checked the top three are Symbian, iOS, and Android in that order... but with the latest information on what's been happening Android will be supplanting iOS within the next month. From there the rest of the top five is RIM followed by WebOS. I believe WP7 isn't even 7th on the list of top mobile OSs. I think only the Nokia N900 would be capable of the top three... but getting your hands on the iOS system software would not be very easy.

Simian Man
December 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Even if you could get the OSs "running", you couldn't get them to interact with the peripherals such as censors, cameras etc. because the firmware included depends on the OS.

Why would you want this anyway?

kevdog
December 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm calling this thread out as a dumb question. Smart phone hardware is so specialized that unless you spend hours recompiling the kernel from source, its unlikely to work with all the hardware on the phone. This discussion is pointless.

Spr0k3t
December 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Why would you want WP7 anyway?

There, I fixed it for you.