PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Definition of Ubuntu, Lubuntu and so on

GDPR-ohya4wai4eiJ
December 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'm thinking what the definition of these desktop environments is. It's a Lubuntu if it's installed from the Lubuntu image but what is it if an official installed Ubuntu changed his desktop environment afterwards to LXDE? Is it then an Ubuntu or a Lubuntu? I want just to know this to give the threads a more correct prefix.

ajgreeny
December 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
This is not quite as simple to answer as it might appear.

Lubuntu is not actually one of the official *ubuntu family (yet, at least), but Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and maybe one or two others I can't remember at the moment are, and are "made" by Canonical. Several other distros all use the ubuntu repos as well, confusing matters even further.

I would suggest you don't get too worried about this, personally. If you installed ubuntu, but added the kubuntu-desktop, and then always login to the kde desktop, call it kubuntu; if you added xubuntu-desktop, and always login to xfce call it xubuntu.

This will mean that the way you deal with configurations, and the default apps for particular actions will be more consistent, than saying you have ubuntu when in fact you use the defaults of kubuntu or xubuntu. All the underlying kernels etc etc are similar, if not exactly the same, and the use of sudo is the same in all, as far as I'm aware, so you should not be tripped up there.

GDPR-ohya4wai4eiJ
December 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ok, I will call it then Lubuntu :)

SantaFe
December 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ok, I will call it then Lubuntu :)

I call mine George! :p