PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot make a live USB

zeating
December 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Using windows 7 32bit ultimate edition, I downloaded Universal USB Installer 1.8.2.0, downloaded the ubuntu 10.10 32bit iso, when i try to make a live usb with it it says "Syslinux402.exe has stopped working" then "An error (255) occured while executing syslinux. Your USB drive won't be bootable" Anyone famillar with this problem? what can i do? thanks

presence1960
December 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM
http://old.linuxliveusb.com/

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Try these.

zeating
December 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
ubootin hangs at 11%, gonna try the other one

zeating
December 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
exact same problem with linux live usb creator :(

presence1960
December 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
exact same problem with linux live usb creator :(

The problem is with the iso you downloaded then. Did you MD5SUM the iso and make sure the hashes match exactly? if the hashes are off by even one charcter the iso is no good. See here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes)

zeating
December 28th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I really dont think its the ISO as i've downloaded downloaded it twice, once directly from the ubuntu site and one from the torrent

zeating
December 30th, 2010, 05:54 AM
bump, happens on 2 different computers :S
the characters are not off and the program says number of known md5 hashes found in md5sum files: 0

presence1960
December 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
bump, happens on 2 different computers :S

Maybe your flash drive is faulty. Did you try another flash drive formatted as FAT32?

~XiX~
June 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I searched the internet and the reason it seems is a bad filename. The workaround is to install syslinux before the USB installer and then run USB installer.
Here is wat I do and it works well all the time.

1. Download the required syslinux files from the net

or the easy way,
- run universal USB installer and let it fail.
- Before u close the installer, copy the list of instructions/commands the installer ran.
- Find the temporary folder it is using.
- Navigate to the temporary folder and copy the contents to another folder. This folder has the necessary syslinux files.

2. Format the USB

3. Open command prompt in administrator mode and navigate to the folder where u have syslinux files. Itu open the command in administrator mode else syslinux command will not work

4. Run the command
"syslinux -maf [driveletter:]" where drive letter is the pendrive
eg: "syslinux -maf F:"
If no error msg is displayed, then the syslinux installation is done.

5. Run the universal USB installer again.

6. This time, when the installer runs the syslinux command, it will not fail.

This works for other installers too.

pgn674
November 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Thank you for the instructions, ~XiX~. I actually found that I only had to format the drive myself by right clicking on it in Computer. I was then able to run the Universal USB Installer without trouble, with the message "Syslinux Errors 0".