PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good idea for the DF to fork OpenOffice.org?

LinuxRocks713
December 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM
The "Document Foundation" has forked OpenOffice.org and created its own version called "LibreOffice". Now while this might be nice and free some control from Oracle, aren't they throwing away years of reputation gained under the name OpenOffice? Many companies and corporate users of OpenOffice.org might think that OpenOffice is canceled and they will switch back to Microsoft Office. It's kind of sad that the best open source office suite is now competing against itself.

This new fork is both a waste of developer effort and reputation around the world. Especially since non-Linux average users might not understand and get confused and probably switch to Microsoft Office in response, and bad impacts and confusion might be generated on non-technical users and corporate users.

earthpigg
December 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
This new fork is both a waste of developer effort and

How so? Oracle is welcome to implement any patches or code developed for the LibreOffice project, and vice versa.

The Document Foundation may end up attracting volunteer coders that would never dream of contributing time and effort to an Oracle project, and Oracle may end up hiring coders that would never dream of contributing without being paid.

reputation around the world.

Oracle has a reputation that resonates well with some, the Document Foundation is quickly establishing a reputation that resonates well with others.

Especially since non-Linux average users might not understand and get confused and probably switch to Microsoft Office in response, and bad impacts and confusion might be generated on non-technical users and corporate users.

non-technical users will do what random google results and the local computer nerd tells them to do. just like, with my car, i do what random google results and the local mechanic (or mechanically inclined friend) tells me to do. i opted not to have "fuel injector cleaning (http://www.repairtrust.com/fuel_inj.html)" done, for example.

corporate users will use what the IT department tells them to use.

TLDR version: It's all fine, calm down :D

LinuxRocks713
December 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM
How so? Oracle is welcome to implement any patches or code developed for the LibreOffice project, and vice versa.

The Document Foundation may end up attracting volunteer coders that would never dream of contributing time and effort to an Oracle project, and Oracle may end up hiring coders that would never dream of contributing without being paid.

But then the two projects would be split, and reputation is being destroyed in the process. It takes a lot of effort to attach the significant reputation currently associated with the OpenOffice.org name, and now the DF seeks to destroy it quickly.

Oracle has a reputation that resonates well with some, the Document Foundation is quickly establishing a reputation that resonates well with others.

Again, OpenOffice reputation is at stake, not Oracle. Most people know OpenOffice without linking it to Sun Microsystems. It is very easy to imagine conversations like this:
Person A: OpenOffice.org works great for me on my computer.
Person B: Hey, I heard there is this new LibreOffice thing out there, I wonder what it does?
Person A: OpenOffice works.
Person B: I'm not really sure. They said something about the "death" of OpenOffice or something.
Person C: Let's just all switch to Microsoft Office.

corporate users will use what the IT department tells them to use.

Corporate IT departments might (and probably will) get confused in that respect - especially if they are not regularly involved with open source and the like.

cariboo
December 28th, 2010, 12:19 AM
As was said on the Ubuntu-devel mailing list, Ubuntu already uses a fork of OOo, called Go-oo project (http://go-oo.org/). Which has now been obsoleted by the LibreOffice project.

madjr
December 28th, 2010, 02:51 AM
i saw this fork comming for a long time, since OOo dev was too slow in many KEY areas.

sun / oracle didnt want it substituting its "proprietary premium versions"

Also all the negative things about oracle lately were the last straw.

Anyway, i believe this new internal competition will do good!

Forks can be a very good thing. Just look at Ubuntu , if we had waited for fedora or debian to become as new user friendly as ubuntu is today, we would had probably needed to wait till 2020 (if ever, because is not even in their goal list..)

smellyman
December 28th, 2010, 03:39 AM
OOo slowly were killing themselves with Oracles help.

LibreOffice breathes life into OOo it sorely needed. Makes me happy that some improvements may finally come out of it.