PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with upgrades

CBJFanGirl
December 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just did a fresh install of Xubuntu 10.10 (I previously had a dual-boot set up of Windows XP & Ubuntu 8.10) on my old Toshiba laptop and after installing, attempted to run software updates. It seemed to have froze towards the end so I had to shut it down. I kept attempting to re-install the updates and kept either going extremely slow or froze up again.

(note: i'm pretty much a newbie in linux, so please don't get uber technical on me :D also, i tried to get on here and cut/paste what things had said in the terminal but again, computer just froze up again)

I ran the thing suggested in the terminal and it had said something to the effect that sbmclient(?) & samba(?) didn't install properly and I should reattempt to install it. I tried, via Symnatic, to uninstall and then reinstall the broken updates, but it told me it had to uninstall xubuntu_desktop as well. i didn't do that.

Anyone else had these problems? Should I just try re-installing the entire xubuntu disc again? start fresh?

dabl
December 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
First suspicion falls on the installation CD. Did you run the md5sum check on the downloaded ISO file? Did you set the burn speed down as low as it can go on your CD burning software? If you're not sure, try burning another one, at 4X if you have it, or 8X -- no faster. Also, the "alternate" CD has a lot more of the software on it -- if you don't need a "Live" CD, I would advise making the Alternate from the downloaded ISO file.

CBJFanGirl
December 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It had resolved itself. I think I was being incredibly impatient with my really old laptop. I think it was just taking extra long to install the updates.

Thanks for the reply :guitar: