PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04.1 install fails to boot -> error: out of disk, grub rescue

pacman5
December 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.1 Desktop AMD64, tried to install it to a cleand HDD using the whole HDD, i.e. gave it permission to use the whole HDD. Installation process appeared to run OK but when it came to the restart it just fired up the message

error: out of disk
grub rescue>

I've searched this forum and found numerous references to these error messages but cannot make head nor tail of the diagnostic suggestions. Apart from anything else they suggest strings of command lines which I don't understand and can't enter anyway since they don't correspond to my keyboard layout (if I hit > or ) something completely different appears on the screen).

Is there someone here who can provide a step-by-step solution in lay language ? Or is there such a thing as a bootable file which can be downloaded and inserted into my CD drive to correct this problem ?

Thank you.

wilee-nilee
December 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.1 Desktop AMD64, tried to install it to a cleand HDD using the whole HDD, i.e. gave it permission to use the whole HDD. Installation process appeared to run OK but when it came to the restart it just fired up the message

grub rescue>

I've searched this forum and found numerous references to these error messages but cannot make head nor tail of the diagnostic suggestions. Apart from anything else they suggest strings of command lines which I don't understand and can't enter anyway since they don't correspond to my keyboard layout (if I hit > or ) something completely different appears on the screen).

Is there someone here who can provide a step-by-step solution in lay language ? Or is there such a thing as a bootable file which can be downloaded and inserted into my CD drive to correct this problem ?

Thank you.

So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

pacman5
December 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.
Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #1 for /boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders, total 1250263728 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 1,238,208,511 1,238,206,464 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1,238,210,558 1,250,263,039 12,052,482 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1,238,210,560 1,250,263,039 12,052,480 82 Linux swap / Solaris

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 fbfbca6e-caf1-4170-b284-1962db0f2200 ext4
/dev/sda2: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda5 ae25de63-6491-4882-82d3-99755ad8df84 swap
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sr1 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)

=========================== sda1/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then
saved_entry=${chosen}
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set fbfbca6e-caf1-4170-b284-1962db0f2200
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
# understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=fbfbca6e-caf1-4170-b284-1962db0f2200 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-24-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=fbfbca6e-caf1-4170-b284-1962db0f2200 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
if [ ${timeout} != -1 ]; then
if keystatus; then
if keystatus --shift; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=0
fi
else
if sleep --interruptible 3 ; then
set timeout=0
fi
fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

=============================== sda1/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=fbfbca6e-caf1-4170-b284-1962db0f2200 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=ae25de63-6491-4882-82d3-99755ad8df84 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

601.4GB: boot/grub/core.img
395.3GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
601.4GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic
601.4GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic
601.4GB: initrd.img
601.4GB: vmlinuz

pacman5
December 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Report text just posted but I couldn't work out where to insert thanks for your help without it being interpreted as code :-))

wilee-nilee
December 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Script looks basically okay, but lets just reload the grub bootloader and see if that works. So boot the live cd of 10.04 and run these two commands in its terminal.

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
then

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

Then reboot to the Ubuntu install make sure the cd is not in the tray. If you get into the install open a terminal there and run.

sudo update-grub

presence1960
December 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:write

pacman5
December 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Script looks basically okay, but lets just reload the grub bootloader and see if that works. So boot the live cd of 10.04 and run these two commands in its terminal.

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
then

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

Then reboot to the Ubuntu install make sure the cd is not in the tray. If you get into the install open a terminal there and run.

sudo update-grub

Thank you.

Tried these commands, rebooted into the install and got the same error messages as before, i.e.

error: out of disk.
grub rescue>

Paddy

wilee-nilee
December 28th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Thank you.

Tried these commands, rebooted into the install and got the same error messages as before, i.e.

error: out of disk.
grub rescue>

Paddy

I think post 6 is correct, it seems so I had looked at the link. I don't know if just another install will get it correct this time, or just purging and reinstalling grub. Sort of depends on others opinions and what you can or are willing to do.

pacman5
December 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:write

Thanks for this. I'm afraid I couldn't use it because the instructions under Temporary Solution read "At the Grub menu at boot up (you may have hold down the "shift" key during boot up or press "esc" during the count down to bring up the Grub menu):" and I don't get the GRUB menu in order to be able to execute these instructions.

So i inserted the Ubuntu CD and fired up from that and searched for a file called 10_linux and found it but nowhere in that file could I find the sequence

menuentry "$1" {
recordfail=1
if [ -n \${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi

which is mentioned in the "Boot Problems:write" that you pointed me to.

So I'm still stuck.

Any other suggestions ?

Paddy

pacman5
December 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I think post 6 is correct, it seems so I had looked at the link. I don't know if just another install will get it correct this time, or just purging and reinstalling grub. Sort of depends on others opinions and what you can or are willing to do.

I tried Post 6 without success.

I've tried two successive installs with the same result.

How do I purge and reinstall GRUB ?

Thanks.

Paddy

wilee-nilee
December 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
So first if you want the grub menu it would be shift but if it doesn't show you could try the chroot purge and reload grub. Not sure if this is any of a fix hard to say.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

I wonder if the CD is faulty, so using it to reload grub will cause the same problems. Same with consecutive installs.

pacman5
December 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
So first if you want the grub menu it would be shift but if it doesn't show you could try the chroot purge and reload grub. Not sure if this is any of a fix hard to say.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

I wonder if the CD is faulty, so using it to reload grub will cause the same problems. Same with consecutive installs.

Following your hint here I just downloaded and installed the latest version, 10.1, 32-bit and installed it and got the same result:

grub rescue

Paddy

presence1960
December 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for this. I'm afraid I couldn't use it because the instructions under Temporary Solution read "At the Grub menu at boot up (you may have hold down the "shift" key during boot up or press "esc" during the count down to bring up the Grub menu):" and I don't get the GRUB menu in order to be able to execute these instructions.

So i inserted the Ubuntu CD and fired up from that and searched for a file called 10_linux and found it but nowhere in that file could I find the sequence

menuentry "$1" {
recordfail=1
if [ -n \${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi

which is mentioned in the "Boot Problems:write" that you pointed me to.

So I'm still stuck.

Any other suggestions ?

Paddy

When you boot the live CD don't look in File System for 10_linux. What you will find there is the live cd file system. You have to look in your hard disk's root directory for 10_linux

Yumi
December 29th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Same problem here. I have my own thread unter "No grub menu at boot - changed install partition" and try to solve my similar problem. Will be watching here in case you find the solution first.

Michael