PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Linux FUD of the day - Broadcom painful even for the computer savvy

aysiu
December 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I am really sad that Broadcom performance seems to have regressed over the past few years in Ubuntu. It's still taking thirty seconds to a minute and a half to reconnect after I resume from suspend.

Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers utility also can't automatically install the wireless drivers without an internet connection, even though they're on the installation medium itself.

Sad. And filing bug reports hasn't helped.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/566483
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/534824

Nevertheless, I would never tell people Broadcom is painful even for the computer savvy. I couldn't believe what I read in the San Francisco Chronicle today:
Q: I have two Windows XP computers. Instead of trying to upgrade to Windows 7 (cost, aggravation), I have been thinking about Linux. I use my computers mostly for the Internet, e-mail and basic word processing. Which version of Linux do you think would suit me best?

A: None of them. Several years ago, I had high hopes for Linux as an alternative to Windows, but the evolution of Linux for consumers has been disappointing. It's almost unbelievable, but Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE and other free versions of Linux still have trouble connecting to wireless networks. That's because they're incompatible with technology from Broadcom, which is used in a majority of network adapters. There are workarounds, but they are painful even for the computer savvy.

Broadcom recently released its driver codes so that open-source developers can use them in future versions of Linux. When those appear, Linux could be a contender. Until then, I'd stick with XP. Original "article" here (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/27/BUT61GUDGH.DTL)

castrojo
December 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM
That article seems like an honest assessment of the state of broadcom today.

If someone asks me if they want to try Ubuntu and they have a broadcom card I tell them to either stick to windows or buy a new card, there's no sense purposely making someone suffer.

JP121
December 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Wireless support is something that Linux definitely needs to work on. Reconnecting after recovering from suspend is something very common for laptop users and something that needs to be done quickly and consistently.

halj32
December 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM

If someone asks me if they want to try Ubuntu and they have a broadcom card I tell them to either stick to windows or buy a new card, there's no sense purposely making someone suffer.

sorry but I dont agree with you one little bit, I use a Dell laptop with broadcom wifi & Ive never had a problem using it & it's easy to load the drivers off the CD see some of my other posts just dont use the b43 drivers as they ARE crap & Ive never been able to get them to work.
I started with SuSE 9.1 & Ive used lots of versions of Linux over the years

JDShu
December 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
My personal experience with Broadcom has actually not been too bad, though Ubuntu is the only distro I've managed to get working with no problems. "Painful even for the computer savvy" is a bit of an exaggeration though.

TeoBigusGeekus
December 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Broadcom + ndiswrapper= WIN!

Spr0k3t
December 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who says the iphone is the epitomy of tech of the last decade. I mean seriously? The whole article is FUD if you ask me.

cariboo
December 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
+1 for good experiences with Broadcom, I have 4 system with Broadcom chipsets, all work better than any of the other wireless devices I've tried.

TriBlox6432
December 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have a netbook (Dell Mini 10v) with broadcom.

It didn't work out of the box but twenty minutes of tinkering got it working fine. Though I'm a bit irritated that I must use proprietary driver. I can't wait for someone to make a decent open source driver for it.

aysiu
December 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM

If someone asks me if they want to try Ubuntu and they have a broadcom card I tell them to either stick to windows or buy a new card, there's no sense purposely making someone suffer. The person who wrote in didn't ask anything about Broadcom.

As far as I know, there are other brands of wireless cards out there besides Broadcom.

What would be the harm in trying out a live CD to see if your hardware is supported?