PDA

View Full Version : Launcher for Ubuntu 10.10 netbook

DtheHut
December 27th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I can't seem to find an app or menu item that will help me turn off the default launcher in the left pane of Ubuntu for the netbook. I downloaded Docky and I want that to be the only desktop launcher displayed.

Here's what I tried:
-Right clicking on the launcher (it blinks, no drop down menu appears).
-Customising through the "Main Menu Settings" menu
-Deleting every individual item on the launcher
-Customising through the "Appearance Settings" menu
-Downloading similar launchers with more customisation options (all they do is take up space in another place on my desktop and don't actually replace the default launcher).
-Clicking the "Manage Windows Without Launcher" checkbox in the "Docky Configuration" menu (while clicked the check mark greys but doesn't disappear, no noticeable effect)

Here's the main issue:

I don't know how to use scripts. I've seen lots of ways to customize your Linux/Ubuntu experience using the text editor, but alas, I am a noob.

DtheHut
December 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Update:
I loaded gconf-editor and tried messing with menubar and toolbar settings (not sure whether the launcher is either), no noticeable change. When I change something from the editor should I immediately restart?

tcaptain
March 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'm with you!

I've just installed 10.10 and that launcher sucks!

Screen real estate is limited on an EeePC 701 and I'd love to just turn it off or make it auto-hide.

Won't someone help?

Frankiewizard
May 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well if you people are looking for the desk top look & not the net book look just go to System - Admin - Login screen & choose which one you need re-boot and there you go.

I am using an Eee-Pc 701 with 10.10 on it with the desk top look & it works really well.
Good luck.............:popcorn:

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 02:56 AM
[QUOTE=DtheHut;10284165]I can't seem to find an app or menu item that will help me turn off the default launcher in the left pane of Ubuntu for the netbook. I downloaded Docky and I want that to be the only desktop launcher displayed.

Here's what I tried:
-Right clicking on the launcher (it blinks, no drop down menu appears).
-Customising through the "Main Menu Settings" menu
-Deleting every individual item on the launcher
-Customising through the "Appearance Settings" menu
-Downloading similar launchers with more customisation options (all they do is take up space in another place on my desktop and don't actually replace the default launcher).
-Clicking the "Manage Windows Without Launcher" checkbox in the "Docky Configuration" menu (while clicked the check mark greys but doesn't disappear, no noticeable effect)

Hi, You can stick with Unity and get rid of the sidebar if you want. Saves messing around installing new stuff:also you could just log out click on your name go to the bottom of the screen and click ubnutu classic, and there will be no bar, and you can use compiz.

1) Download cssm.

2) In the Unity plugin, set Reveal to Autohide and the Reveal edge to None or Disabled.

Now the only way you can get the sidebar is by pressing Super.:D