PDA

View Full Version : Anyone can compare desktop space and quality of Gnome and OSX on MacBook pro?

legolas_w
December 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I am buying a 15" macbook pro to replace my current Lenovo T400. I am not sure whether I should go with a high-res display or a normal display?

I mostly do programming and text quality and desktop space is an important factor for me.

What I am looking to know is that on a 15" display of a macbook pro with 1440*900 resolution whether Mac desktop gives a cleaner and more usable space in term of font sizes.... or it is the same as Ubuntu.

Currently I have a ubuntu t400 with a 14.1 inch and 1440*900 resolution. I am wondering when I get the 15.4" macbook pro with the same resolution, will I have more usable space or they are the same.

Thanks.

zekopeko
December 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I am buying a 15" macbook pro to replace my current Lenovo T400. I am not sure whether I should go with a high-res display or a normal display?

I mostly do programming and text quality and desktop space is an important factor for me.

What I am looking to know is that on a 15" display of a macbook pro with 1440*900 resolution whether Mac desktop gives a cleaner and more usable space in term of font sizes.... or it is the same as Ubuntu.

Currently I have a ubuntu t400 with a 14.1 inch and 1440*900 resolution. I am wondering when I get the 15.4" macbook pro with the same resolution, will I have more usable space or they are the same.

Thanks.

Going by basic logic I would say that the T400 has more pixels per square inch since it's a smaller display but has the same resolution as the 15" Macbook Pro. The HiRes 15" Macbook screen probably is similar or better then the T400.

I suggest you go to a shop and compare first hand the difference between the 1440x900 and 1680x1050 Macbook. Personally I would go with the 1680x1050. More pixels in the same space is always a good thing. The only real decision is if you want the glossy and anti-glare upgrades and in that case you should, again, go see it for yourself.

And yes I think you will have more space with the HiRes screen.

BTW I suggest you request a moderator move this post to the Apple Users subforums since they actually have Apple hardware so you will get a better answer.

mips
December 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Get the high-res display it makes for a better desktop environment.

3Miro
December 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Gnome is very flexible in terms of "usable" space. If you play around with fonts/themes/panel settings, you can get it to whatever you want. It takes some effort to adjust, but it is possible.

I don't know about Mac OSX.

sanderd17
December 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I've read on Dutch apple forums that OS X is *not* adaptable. It reads the space it has and choses it's size for the panels, the font ...

(some prior ubuntu user bought a big iMac, but he wanted bigger fonts and the answers were that it's not possible the change those things. I think he switched back to ubuntu.)

I don't know it by experience, but I think that the bigger resolution will give smaller fonts and smaller panels than (and therefore more space) the smaller resolution.