PDA

View Full Version : PCWorld: What if all the world ran Linux?

kwacka
December 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214596/what_if_all_the_world_ran_linux.html

But why only on the 'Business' pages?

Don't their home-user customers deserve to be informed too?

trinitydan
December 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wow! It's too bad about it being in the business section, but I am glad it's there! I agree though, they should tell the home users customers too. :(

Megaptera
December 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
.... but possibly the more it's used by people in business the more exposure it'll get and more people will get used to it and possibly those people who've seen and used it at work might then be more inclined to use it at home??

andymorton
December 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
That's probably one of the most pro-Linux articles I've read from someone who's relatively objective. Great stuff!!

grahammechanical
December 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I take issue with this comment:

what now exists as the colossally huge PC security industry would no longer be able to sustain itself on such a massive scale.

That would be even more true, of course, because of the openness of Linux's code, which enables users to identify and fix vulnerabilities themselves, as they arise. No more waiting for security bulletins or fixes in a "Patch Tuesday" event far down the road.

I am a user of Linux and I cannot do what the writer says. This part of the report will cause people to have unrealistic expectations of what they can do to the operating system.

I rely on updates as I am sure all but those involved in kernel development do. If we are all able to fix vulnerabilities ourselves then we would all be running slightly different operating systems. There has to be central control over the kernel and what goes in it. And there is that control. And users benefit.

Regards.

handy
December 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'd use Haiku, or go back to the AmigaOS or BSD. For no other reason than what?

Good question...

Stimulation & community I guess.

You guys - community - are priceless.

If the whole world (so to speak) was doing something?

Unfortunately I expect that the community spirit would get lost in the process.

fugazi32
December 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
If every computer ran on Linux, and everyone had a similar philosophy of SHARING then the world would be a better place! :p

Oh dear, I bet the CIA are onto me now!

mr.farenheit
December 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
everyone running linux could be a good thing. but if everyone were to switch all at once, it'd be like the process of evolution for us again. everyone would have to learn a great deal just to get going, lack of knowledge would be like lack of borders and there would be attacks amongst each other, as well as conflict amongst each other based on beliefs i.e. linux distros. eventually we would get back to where we are now as a society in a tech sense.

IWantFroyo
December 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Linux would start charging money... And life as we know it would change...
D:

IWantFroyo
December 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM
"I am a user of Linux and I cannot do what the writer says. This part of the report will cause people to have unrealistic expectations of what they can do to the operating system."

Changing the code is easy. Like if you download something off the internet. It doesn't come as a nice application unless you get it from the software center. It comes as a whole bunch of files that can easily be modified.

koenn
December 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Changing the code is easy. Like if you download something off the internet. It doesn't come as a nice application unless you get it from the software center. It comes as a whole bunch of files that can easily be modified.
OK, downloading source code files is easy. The hard part is
1- identify the vulnerabilities yourself
2- fix vulnerabilities yourself
3- maintain the private, custom version you've created for as long as it's not in sync with the original program.

And no, that's not easy. It's definitively not something an ordinary user could do.

earthpigg
December 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
That would be even more true, of course, because of the openness of Linux's code, which enables users to identify and fix vulnerabilities themselves, as they arise. No more waiting for security bulletins or fixes in a "Patch Tuesday" event far down the road.

i think, as others in this thread have said, that this is either unclear or an exaggeration.

most of us (due to lack of expertise) cannot "fix vulnerabilities [ourselves]" in the code and recompile...

...however, what we can do is simply not use whatever has the vulnerability.

2.6.35 accidentally introduced a new vulnerability that concerns you, and Ubuntu developers didn't catch it prior to pushing the update? OK, boot into 2.6.34.

All versions of NetworkManager are discovered to have a vulnerability? OK, use wicd.

Unless I am mistaken, neither of those options are available to OS X or Windows users.

koenn
December 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
informed

wrong choice of words, I'm afraid.
Overall, that text reads more like an advertisement (or a fanboy blog).

cgroza
December 27th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Linux would start charging money... And life as we know it would change...
D:
Linux is not a company so it can't do it.

KingYaba
December 27th, 2010, 11:45 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/skafaced102/linux-desktop-i-want-to-believe.jpg

Swagman
December 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
In Soviet Russia, kernel compiles YOU!

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/12/putin-orders-russian-move-to-gnulinux.html

handy
December 28th, 2010, 12:46 AM
If every computer ran on Linux, and everyone had a similar philosophy of SHARING then the world would be a better place! :p

Oh dear, I bet the CIA are onto me now!

I certainly agree with the ideal, but it has about as much chance of happening as the topic of this thread, unfortunately.

Most people are in IT, for themselves.