PDA

View Full Version : Google Map gets a tad creepy

kleeman
April 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Google map has just updated their satellite database and the resolution is amazing (and just a bit creepy): I can make out clearly my car in my driveway and even the sideporch roof very clearly (1m by 1m). Great for spying on your neighbors backyards. Creepy! check it out if you live in the US. I guess this means the CIA can monitor me easily checking my mail.

dralaroc
April 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Gee, where have I been? Never knew this existed. Its shows my mom's house dead on, but my home is off by several houses. The resolution is decent, I can see my mom's back patio and all the junk I have waiting for me on my next visit;)

Kvark
April 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah it does reveal secrets. The local news here said that Google showed a top secret military base in great detail. The military said they will have to move their secret bases underground now when everyone has access to spy satellites. The next day Google added a cloud over the base on their satellite images.

MetalMusicAddict
April 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah it does reveal secrets. The local news here said that Google showed a top secret military base in great detail. The military said they will have to move their secret bases underground now when everyone has access to spy satellites. The next day Google added a cloud over the base on their satellite images.
Seriously? Wow.

Lovechild
April 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Who ever gave google permission to publish pictures of my backyard?

I can just imagine one day when resolution gets sufficently high, my ex will have to sunbath in a tanning salon because doing so naked in her otherwise sheltered backyard is not an option because of Google.

Thank you google for invading peoples privacy.. ****ers.

jason.b.c
April 24th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Ahh Crap, Does it only work with High Speed internet??! Damn.!](*,)

Lovechild, I don't think there's a whole lot that you can do about it though, I understand that your ticked, you might wanna carry an umbrella over your head when in your backyard..:rolleyes: ;) ( ha ha )

Lovechild
April 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Lovechild, I don't think there's a whole lot that you can do about it though, I understand that your ticked, you might wanna carry an umbrella over your head when in your backyard..:rolleyes: ;) ( ha ha )

I believe you mean tinfoil hat..

OffHand
April 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM
WOW, that's just sick

jason.b.c
April 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM

:-k Yea, or that.#-o

dicecca112
April 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM
my image is still from 99, doesn't show the deck on my pool and is of terrible quality

BWF89
April 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Studies have shown that hats made of aluminum foil would actually amplify the brain controlling waves. You'll have to go with copper mesh if you want real security.

EDIT: and this is just what a private company has. Imagine what the government has right now.

nickle
April 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM
worst thing, google earth is not available for linux... assholes...

Iandefor
April 25th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I dunno, I still get horrible fuzzy blobs over Bellingham. But Seattle gets bloody clear images. I imagine it's for the best- I'm still not keen on the whole "You're being watched while you're outside" thing.

Lovechild
April 25th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Studies have shown that hats made of aluminum foil would actually amplify the brain controlling waves. You'll have to go with copper mesh if you want real security.

EDIT: and this is just what a private company has. Imagine what the government has right now.

You fool.. they put out that study to confuse you.. surely the alien mind control waves will be rendered useless with something as simple as a few layers of tin foil.

BWF89
April 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM
You fool.. they put out that study to confuse you.. surely the alien mind control waves will be rendered useless with something as simple as a few layers of tin foil.
The NSA (United States National Security Agency) headquarters is covered in a layer of copper mesh to precent electronic evesdropping.

Lovechild
April 25th, 2006, 02:08 AM
The NSA (United States National Security Agency) headquarters is covered in a layer of copper mesh to precent electronic evesdropping.

That's a faraday cage, in effect your computer case works in much the same way.. however that is just the part they tell you about - they could in theory have other things in protecting they little funhouse.

dmacdonald111
April 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I'm in south west UK and you can't zoom in that far (apart from falmouth) so I can still sunbath naked (you know, if I wanted to. Not that I do or anything). :D

BWF89
April 25th, 2006, 02:24 AM
I'm in south west UK and you can't zoom in that far (apart from falmouth) so I can still sunbath naked (you know, if I wanted to. Not that I do or anything). :D
/tries to zoom in on the South-West UK ;)

dmacdonald111
April 25th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I'm just spying on the US :D The quality is definately scary. Even better than before (and that was scary!)

BoyOfDestiny
April 25th, 2006, 04:18 AM

This refutes the MIT study.
http://zapatopi.net/blog/?post=200511112730.afdb_effectiveness

I saw it on memepool :)

dmacdonald111
April 25th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I just found this on the website, must be how they cover themselves! lol.

"The images that Maps displays are no different from what can be seen by anyone who flies over or drives by a specific geographic location."

On another note, have you actually looked at Area 51? Surely they wouldn't allow anyone such pictures! It looks too realistic it's false. Perhaps none of it is real! They are all computer generated and our planet is really flat and we haven't been to space and computers don't exist either! AH! <runs screaming>

kleeman
April 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Well the specifics on my property are VERY accurate. I just looked out my back window while on google map to check. Looks like they use winter/spring photos in the US btw

jason.b.c
April 26th, 2006, 12:21 AM
worst thing, google earth is not available for linux... assholes...

What??, Not even with Wine ??:confused: ](*,)

Jedeye
April 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
spray paint ubuntu on your roof! perhaps google will get a pic of it one day ;)

OffHand
April 26th, 2006, 12:27 AM
What??, Not even with Wine ??:confused: ](*,)
http://maps.google.com/ I just found my own house :- /

zubrug
April 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
My place is pretty fuzzy, can't distinguish between the white blob on my lawn being a beachball or me with my shirt off.

BoboChimp
April 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
wow, seattle is a lot clearer and a little closer than houston!

Lovechild
April 26th, 2006, 12:48 AM
spray paint ubuntu on your roof! perhaps google will get a pic of it one day ;)

On the day I get a home with a roof of my own I promise to spraypaint Tux doing Larry Page in the *** on it.

Sparkalo
April 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Looks like Michigan is still safe : P. My address is a green blob as is most of my city. Just look up Ann Arbor or Detroit for that matter, it's very grainy, most features are indistinguishable. Then again, who actually wants to look at Detroit : P

imagine
April 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I dunno, I still get horrible fuzzy blobs over Bellingham. But Seattle gets bloody clear images. I imagine it's for the best- I'm still not keen on the whole "You're being watched while you're outside" thing.
Me neither, but you have to see that Google isn't the one who watches you. They just make you aware that others watch you, which is a good thing IMHO.

YourSurrogateGod
April 26th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Google map has just updated their satellite database and the resolution is amazing (and just a bit creepy): I can make out clearly my car in my driveway and even the sideporch roof very clearly (1m by 1m). Great for spying on your neighbors backyards. Creepy! check it out if you live in the US. I guess this means the CIA can monitor me easily checking my mail.
Who's that guy hanging around your car?

kleeman
April 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Who's that guy hanging around your car?
Karamba they are onto me!

Stone123
April 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=34.076538~-118.429016&style=o&lvl=2&scene=3586657

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=ny&t=k&ll=40.764381,-74.00014&spn=0.000001,0.000001&t=k

Wonder if i can see russian secret bases i sybiria on google maps soon.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/maps/0/?v=0&f=3&so=2