PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Installation Doesn't Appear After Restart

ColourH3AR7
December 27th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry if this was already asked. I downloaded Ubuntu and burned it on a disc like the instructions tell me. I insert the disk and wubi appears and it has 3 buttons (demo and full installation, install inside windows, and learn more). I select the first one and it tells me to restart my computer, saying that afterward the next instructions will appear. I reboot, but when it reboots, the instructions don't appear. Can anyone help? I'm extremely new and I don't know anything about coding, so try not to answer with lots of code; I'll probably have no idea what you are talking about.

IWantFroyo
December 27th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Did you go to BIOS and have cd as first priority? (delete or f12 depending on computer)
On some computers you have to do this every time...

ColourH3AR7
December 27th, 2010, 02:06 AM
What is BIOS?

Edit: OK, I know what BIOS is, but how do you set the cd as the first priority?

Quackers
December 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM
BIOS (which stands for Basic Input Output System ) is the first thing to wake up when you start your computer. It picks up the time and sets up all your hardware so that the operating system can speak to it. It also recognises all available hard drives and other boot devices (like cd/dvd drive and usb flash drives, for example).
The bios needs to be told where to look first for a boot device. Normally this would be set to the hard drive, but to boot from a cd before the hard drive you would need to set the cd drive as the first boot device.
To do this you need to enter the bios settings in your computer. This is done on a one time only basis by tapping a key during boot up. The key can vary with different manufacturers. It is often F12 or the "del" key. You would need to check your manual for info.
To permanently change the bios boot device you would press a different key during boot and enter the bios that way.
Your manual will tell you which key does which job.

ColourH3AR7
December 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Ok, I did that and I got all the way in the installation to where it says "Who Are You?" on top. I typed in my information, but I can't click on the forward button. I don't see why not, so why can't I press it?

Edit: Also, on the bottom, it says Ready when you are..., like it's trying to tell me to press the forward button, but I can't :(

Quackers
December 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Don't start or end your username with a capital letter - it's not allowed :-)
Also you MUST enter a password and confirm it - empty password also not allowed :-)

ColourH3AR7
December 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Thank you so much! My problem was the capital letter. :D:D:D

Quackers
December 27th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Continue then :-)