PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using LCD TV as Monitor

RogerX19
December 26th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 as a dual boot on a computer that already had Windows 7 Home Premium, and it works well.

I'm using a Sharp 46" LCD TV as a monitor, and both operating systems work perfectly with it.

Ubuntu recognizes it as a SHARP 37", but that is not a problem.

However, I also installed Oracle (Sun) Virtualbox on the Windows partition, then installed the exact same copy of Ubuntu into it.

The virtual machine runs fine, and loads Ubuntu in a window on top of Win7, however, it only recognizes the TV as a generic monitor, offering only 800x600 resolution as the highest available.

I did not load a special driver into Ubuntu when I installed it as dual boot, nor when I installed it in Virtualbox.

Somehow, when I booted into Ubuntu directly, it recognized the TV as a Sharp brand LCD tv, and gives me choices of higher resolutions above 800x600

How can I duplicate that in Virtualbox?

As I said, both versions of Ubuntu were installed from the same download, and are identical. The computer has 4 GBs of memory, so I increased the system memory available to the virtual machine from 512 MB to 1024 MB, and the video memory from 16 MB to 64 MB, but that did not change anything.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the virtual Ubuntu to recognize this monitor as a Sharp, not just a generic?

thanks

rogerX