PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get desktop (gdm)

AbeJarano
December 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
(Meerkat) Last night I fixed the xorg.conf to get proper resolution then was installing vlc, mplayer and smplayer. Then fusion-icon. I uninstalled *pulseaudio*. Installed docky, awn and cairo. I rebooted often and everything seemed to be working OK except for the audio (no alsa). Lastly I rebooted, changed the boot drive in BIOS to boot Windows. Then this morning I rebooted, changed to the Ubuntu drive and surprise, I can't log in.
It seems I can't log in because gdm is having a problem. There's no errors in Xorg.X.log but a warning:

(WW) xfCloseConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed: Interrupted signal call

and in syslog

WARNING (me: ~something like) Gdm Local Display Failure maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors

and in daemon.log

gdm -session-worker[1967]: Glib_GObject_CRITICAL: g_value_get_boolean assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_BOOLEAN (value)' failed
WARNING GdmDisplay: Display lasted 2.2... seconds
and also the warning in syslog from Gdm Local Display Factory

after erasing xorg.conf and rebooting daemon.log changed to

gdm-simple-greeter[1962] Warning default session not available

[nm-manager.c..1317] user_proxy_init(); could not init user settings proxy (3) Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Network Manager User Settings': no such name (I might not have the numbers and puncutation quite right)

I tried making a new user and rebooting there but not much difference and the log messages stayed the same.

Thanks, I would appreciate any help or questions.

sid.mallya
December 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Strange .. I am having a similar problem and I had Docky too.