PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu...poor man's Mac OS X ..???

asifnaz
December 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
In my college almost everybody carries Macbook (almost 80% of them including professors ) . When I look back in class I can see lots of white macbooks .

I am only person having a 0$ laptop (freecycled PIII 1Ghz , 512 ram and 20 gb HD) running Ubuntu on it .Ironically , I look different from masses .

My college work is done using Open-office and Gimp etc .

My co-students are really interested in Ubuntu some of them actually borrowed my laptop to use for a while . They are interested in this stable and secure OS .

I don't like when they call it "poor man's Mac os X" :)

NightwishFan
December 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I am sure very very wealthy people (like Mark Shuttleworth and Michael Dell) use it as well.

I am glad it is going over so well. I think Ubuntu is awesome, and it will only get better; especially the 12.04 release.

alexan
December 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Any iOS/OSX is poor man's Linux Jaguar (http://www.nccs.gov/jaguar/).

Your *whole* college is unable to afford it :)

asifnaz
December 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM

nice . I am going to tell them that Giant runs on Linux

JustLikeYouImagined
December 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ubuntu = a-person-who-doesn't-want-to-waste-money-on-overpriced-apple-hardware's Mac OS X (at least it will once natty is out)

ronnielsen1
December 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Michael Dell
He did for a while but I think he switched to OSX. As far as Mark, can you imagine if someone had a pic of him using a mac? That might make news

chucky chuckaluck
December 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM

I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued them for using 'Jaguar'.

73ckn797
December 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Me = a-person-who-doesn't-want-to-spend-a-lot-of-money-on-overpriced-used-fruit.

fatal_ERROR777
December 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
And, Mac is running a very modified Linux kernel. You can say, that Linux is older than Mac, and Mac users should respect the old man. Furthermore, Mac has less programs than Linux, and you can't tune your Mac for your flavor. But you can make Linux look like Windows 7 or Mac! Plus, you can get the free code of Linux and make your own distro! So, Mac is popular and unmoving giant, while Linux is flexible, powerful, and free piece of software. These two system are both good.

Hells_Dark
December 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I could afford a mac with no problem :p

NightwishFan
December 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Well they are cousins, OS X is more like BSD Unix and runs on a Mach Microkernel. Most open source runs on a Mac as well as some professional design applications. I could see Ubuntu moving into a design market eventually as well. Especially if the port to wayland is well recieved, we could have advanced colour support and tear free screen rendering.

snkiz
December 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rich people are sheep,They go for whats trendy, and they don't want to actually have to think in the process. Why do you think they have the "Genius" bar in the apple store. Because most people who purchase a mac don't even know where their personal files are, let alone how to copy them to another machine. I don't believe that OSX even as simple as it is, would be as successful without the serious hand holding mac owners receive. Hell most people who sit down at my desktop can't find "The internet" without a big stupid e on the desktop, even though I changed the name of the Chromium icon to "Web Browser"

overdrank
December 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
No need for os bashing and insulting users. Thread closed.