PDA

View Full Version : Complete newb to Linux and somehwat newb to C++

Melhisedek
April 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I've done some programming way back in Borlands own IDE, and that's it :/ Now I would like to switch to Linux and wonder what IDE would be friendly enough for a newb like me. Some people recommended me vim or emacs and that compile with g++. Should I go that route perhaps?

For me it doesn't matter, as long as I get some kind of text formating and highlighting I'm happy :)

Thank you for your time!

cgjones
April 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM
It depends. Are you looking for something graphical or command line?
Take a look at Anjuta (http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/). If you aren't looking for a complete IDE, GEdit does syntax highlighting.

Melhisedek
April 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Great, thanks mate!

cgjones
April 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Glad I could help.

MichaelZ
April 24th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I've done some programming way back in Borlands own IDE, and that's it :/ Now I would like to switch to Linux and wonder what IDE would be friendly enough for a newb like me. Some people recommended me vim or emacs and that compile with g++. Should I go that route perhaps?

Hello,

You can give a try to CodeBlocks (http://www.codeblocks.org). I use it on both Linux and Windows and it works nicely :). You can build it by yourself (it is relatively easy) or download a .deb package (see my signature) and install it. For questions/problems, the forum is helpful :).

Best wishes,
Michael

GoldBuggie
April 24th, 2006, 11:33 PM
KDevelop is really nice.

thumper
April 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'm one of the people that recommends emacs, but I'm used to it - and I remember it being a real sh*t to learn.

I like Kate - the advanced text editor in KDE. Seems to work fine and gives syntax hilighting.

xenmax
April 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I guess its time to get in a vi recommendation [no flaming here :)]. I have always used VI for all my coding and i really like its power. But yeah, it has quite a steep learning curve - but once you do learn some basic things [not all, who uses all features all the time anyway], you will really love it (Unless you take a deep hatred to the command-and-insert modes). And i use gcc/g++ to compile - and we use make files if things get bigger.