PDA

View Full Version : A hacker’s marginal security helps return stolen computer

zer010
December 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
http://hackaday.com/2010/12/25/a-hackers-marginal-security-helps-return-stolen-computer/

Gather round and hear the story of how a hacker outsmarts a criminal. [Zoz] was robbed and they got his desktop computer. Gone, right? Nope. Because of a peculiar combination of his computer’s configuration, and the stupidity of the criminal, he got it back. He shares the tale during his Defcon 18 talk (https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-18/dc-18-presentations/Zoz/Zoz-Pwned-by-the-Owner.pdf) (PDF), the video is embedded after the break.
[Zoz's] first bit of luck came because he had set up the machine to use a dynamic DNS service, updated via a script. Since the criminal didn’t wipe the hard drive he was able to find the machine online. From there he discovered that he could SSH into it, and even use VNC to eavesdrop on the new owner. This, along with a keylogger he installed, got him all the information he needed; the guy’s name, birth date, login and password information for websites, and most importantly his street address. He passed along this juicy data to police and they managed to recover the system.

Verbeck
December 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
~and the stupidity of the criminal~~~Since the criminal didn’t wipe the hard drive~just his luck

handy
December 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
He does a great video presentation.

Good story.

Thanks for the link. ;)

zer010
December 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it was a good presentation. I thought he was quite resourceful and as some know, stolen property is rarely ever found and returned.

NMFTM
December 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I was frankly blown away by the fact that he didn't require use of the root password for the two years that he owned the computer. Even on OSX, you need it just to apply updates. But, I guess a criminal dumb enough to not wipe the HD would probably not put much thought into updating his OS.

kevdog
December 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Good story -- Not much informational value -- but good for one or two laughs for sure.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I've actually thought about adding something to the conky script on my laptop that would get a piece of data from my server every hour when the laptop is on. That way I could track the IP address it was used from. Then ssh or vnc into the computer.

I've opted for a strong password and encrypted HDD. Even if I gave the police all the info they needed, I don't really think I would get my laptop back. I could mess with the person that stole it; however, I could be charged with a crime it I did anything to mischievous.

ki4jgt
December 27th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I think I would've got on a tor client or some other network :-) :-) and posted all the personal information I'd gathered about the person on craigslist. Signed him up for a bunch of weird magazines. Placed a couple of seeking someone ads out on websites where they didn't belong and then told the cops about him after all that. :-) found some way to say a hacker had gotten into my computer the same way I did.

Nah, this guy did it good, but I don't know, there's just something about people who steal other people's stuff that irks me.

witeshark17
December 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
A fun story, nice video! :popcorn:

Cuddles McKitten
December 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
This makes me wonder about the (CPU's?) serial number. How can you find it? If it's the CPU serial he was talking about, it's not listed in /proc/cpuinfo

earthpigg
December 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
This makes me wonder about the (CPU's?) serial number. How can you find it? If it's the CPU serial he was talking about, it's not listed in /proc/cpuinfo

i think its the sticker on the side that he was talking about.