PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install ubuntu 10.10 wiped drive

Motojet
December 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
So I was installing 10.10 to be my only operating system on my 3 year old custom built computer and all of a sudden it stopped working at the point of "whenever you are ready" but not letting me go forward because it still was loading. I waited a long time and it was frozen so I restarted my computer and now I don't have anything on it. No operating system at all. Except the symbol " _ " blinking rapidly. Nothing is working and I just want to run 10 on my desktop. Please any ideas? Totally new to this as well.

Sef
December 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Instead of installing, go down to 'Check Disk for Errors' or something similar. It will tell you if there is a problem with the disk or not.

Quackers
December 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM
And if you get to the username field again, don't use a capital letter :-)

Rubi1200
December 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Just to add to what Sef and Quackers have already said, if you need further assistance we are here to help.

It would also be useful if you could post the specifications for the machine in question.

Thanks and good luck.

Quackers
December 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Merry Christmas Rubi1200 :-)

Motojet
December 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM
When I start my computer nothing comes up but a black screen with and I can't type in anything. I have taking out the disk and it still goes to the blank screen. I even tried the setup but that has not done anything really.

And, what do you mean with the capital letter? Do I need to change that?

Rubi1200
December 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hi,
please boot the computer with the LiveCD again and choose to try not install Ubuntu.

At the live desktop, download and run the boot info script linked at the bottom of my post (instructions included).

Post the results back here.

Thanks.

What Quackers means is that when you come to the screen to enter your name and user name, the user name cannot begin with an uppercase letter.

For example: not John21 but john21 (you won't see any error message, but you will not be able to continue installing).

Off-topic: @Quackers; same to you mate :)

Motojet
December 27th, 2010, 01:07 AM
So I put in the live CD and put the usb with the boot script. However, the computer still doesn't work still so I really think I did something else with my hard drive that I have no clue. I only get the setup and the bios message. I think I might get a new hard drive if anything else doesn't work.