PDA

View Full Version : [Python] RegEx simple pattern help

Nexusx6
December 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hello, I'm in need of a little help coding a RegEx pattern. What I'm looking for is pattern that will match a sequence like this:

abc
abcd
abcde
abcdef
etc..

where the next letter (or number) in the sequence may or may not be there, but not to match if the next letter is not part of the sequence

abced
abcdegf
etc

I feel like the answer is right in front of me, but I cant seem to get it. Any help is appreicated

Vaphell
December 25th, 2010, 06:07 AM
so you want to check if given 'words' are built from characters in their natural order? I may suck at regular expressions but i don't think it's trivial at all.
It's much easier to test if ord(word[i]) != (ord(word[i+1])-1)

Nexusx6
December 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM
so you want to check if given 'words' are built from characters in their natural order?

Not quite. Say I have some sequence asd123, what I want is to match the sequences

asd
// or
asd1
// or
asd12
// or
asd123

but not

asd2
// or
asd321
// or
ads123
etc...

Some Penguin
December 26th, 2010, 12:03 AM
^a((b(c?))?)$

would accept 'a', or 'ab', 'abc'. The c is optional within the bc sequence, and the b(c?) sequence is optional following an a.

Nexusx6
December 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM
^a((b(c?))?)$

would accept 'a', or 'ab', 'abc'. The c is optional within the bc sequence, and the b(c?) sequence is optional following an a.

This works great! Thanks for responding :)

Vaphell
December 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
either way regex is an overkill plus it's not too flexible.
you can achieve similar effect with in or startswith()

sequence = "abcdefgh"
tested_str = "abc"

print tested_str in sequence

print sequence.startswith( tested_str )

Nexusx6
December 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM
either way regex is an overkill plus it's not too flexible.
you can achieve similar effect with in or startswith()

sequence = "abcdefgh"
tested_str = "abc"

print tested_str in sequence

print sequence.startswith( tested_str )

Yeah, actually I agree. I have to use regex in other parts of my program for more complex matching than a sequence, so when I got to this stage I just kept moving with regex. It didn't hit me till your first post that I could probably just use array functions to achieve the same thing :redface:

Joshimitsu
December 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I have a request similar to this.

I'm learning Arabic, and for my learning I type documents that have both English and Arabic text. The Arabic renders much smaller in things like OpenOffice compared to English, so I have to highlight and increase the font size of the Arabic text as I write.

For example, when I write a wordpress post, the html looks like:

<p>Naseehatu Ibraheema - Advice of Ibraheem</p>
<span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:Times New Roman,serif;"><span style="font-size:x-large;">َكَانَ إبْرَاهِيمُ يَقُولُ لِوالِدِهِ</span></span></span></span></p>

So in an ideal world, I would like to type everything in normal font in both English and Arabic and then run some sort of script or something that will wrap all the Arabic in <span style="font-size:x-large;"></span> .

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

ziekfiguur
December 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Can someone help me with this?

I can help only partly I'm afraid. I don't know any arabic, so i had to look the characters up in a unicode table. Here is what i came up with:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import re
import sys

sys.stdout.write(re.sub('(([\u0600-\u06ff]\s*)+)',
'<span style="font-size:x-large;">\\1</span>', sys.stdin.read()))

Please note that this one uses python 3 (it's not installed by default, but it's in the repositories) because that works easier with unicode.

It seems to work mostly but it misses some characters.

َكَانَ إبْرَاهِيمُ يَقُولُ لِوالِدِهِ
gets translated to:

<span style="font-size:x-large;">كَانَ إبْرَاهِيمُ يَقُولُ لِوالِدِهِ</span>
Notice that the leftmost arabic character (or is it punctuation?) is missing.
However, if you know the unicode codes for this (and maybe more, you'll have to test that) character it's fairly trivial to expand my regex.

Joshimitsu
December 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Wow thanks ziekfiguur! I don't know anything about python so I'll try what you've suggested and get back to you.

Joshimitsu
December 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Erm, really embarrassing question, but how do I use the above code?

If I have a text file called 'notes', which contains the Arabic script, how do I make the code run in it?

Thanks

ziekfiguur
December 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Erm, really embarrassing question, but how do I use the above code?

If I have a text file called 'notes', which contains the Arabic script, how do I make the code run in it?

Thanks
Sorry, I should have explained. The script reads its input from stdin and writes to stdout.
So if you save it as large_arab.py you can make it executable with:
$chmod a+x large_arab.py
and use it, from the folder where you saved it, with:
$./large_arab.py < notes > large_notes
This will create a file large_notes with where the arab sentences should have a large font.

Joshimitsu
December 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hey Z,

When I run $chmod a+x large_arab.py , I get:

$chmod a+x large_arab.py
No command 'a+x' found, did you mean:
Command 'a2x' from package 'asciidoc' (main)
Command 'a+' from package 'aplus-fsf' (universe)
a+x: command not found

I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

I created a folder on my Desktop called Arabic. In here I placed the code in a text file and saved it as large_arab.py. I then placed the text file with all the Arabic I want enlarged called 'notes'. I then opened terminal and run $chmod a+x large_arab.py and got the above error.

Some Penguin
December 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
$ was the command prompt. Don't type it, or $chmod will be interpreted as a variable -- presumably unset, and therefore an empty string.

Joshimitsu
December 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
$ was the command prompt. Don't type it, or $chmod will be interpreted as a variable -- presumably unset, and therefore an empty string.

Doh!

There should be a feature where you can delete your stupid posts :lolflag:

Please pretend that I didn't use the command prompt and just make a fool of myself in public... it'll make me a feel a lil better about myself!

Thanks again ziekfiguur, the code worked perfectly.

:guitar: