PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 32-bit and 64-bit on one DVD

LukeLinux
December 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM
So, like the title says...is there some way to have Ubuntu 32-bit and 64-bit on one DVD, and then have the system auto-detect which architecture to use?

I ask because my desktop PC is 64-bit, whereas I use 32-bit on my netbook (even though it has a 64-bit CPU, it doesn't have enough RAM to make it worth the program compatibility issues), and I frequently rescue friends' computers (which are generally a bit older and are 32-bit only) using an Ubuntu live CD.

At the moment I find myself often re-burning a DVD-RW to switch between 64-bit and 32-bit, and I think it would be nice to just have both versions of the OS on one DVD, considering there is plenty of memory available to do such a thing.

Is this a possibility? If it would take too much work I'll just burn a second DVD, but I'm one of those people that just likes to do things like this for the challenge :D

Dark_Stang
December 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
This is possible to do, but why not just burn 2 cd's?

theozzlives
December 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Ubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit both fit on a CD. Why are you using DVDs? The DVD you buy has more language support so they may have both flavors of Ubuntu, I'm not sure.

LukeLinux
December 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM
why not just burn 2 cd's?

Like I said, I just like the challenge of trying something new, and having one disk to keep up with as opposed to two would just be nicer. Multiple times I've taken a disk to a friend's house to recover some files from their malfunctioning computer just to find out I brought a 64-bit edition when their PC is only 32-bit.

So is having both architectures on one DVD a big deal? No. But is it a convenience? Yes.

Why are you using DVDs?

The only things I need burnable disks for are the movies I make and data storage, and CD-R's are not very good for either. Since I have so many on hand it would have been silly to go out and buy some for Ubuntu :P

The DVD you buy has more language support so they may have both flavors of Ubuntu, I'm not sure.

There's a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the DVD, so I'd say that means neither version contains both architectures. Oh well.