PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make windows 7 boot disk, then completely reformat the hard drive

airborne2k10
December 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hello. I want to install ubuntu permenantly on my system as the sole operating system. I want to do this, but I do not want to make it completely impossible to ever run window again if I needed to. How do I make a windows 7 installation disk so that if I ever wanted to install windows again on a reformatted hard drive I could?

Dark_Stang
December 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Your computer (assuming it came with a legit copy of windows) should have some software on it to make it's own recovery discs. It's different for each manufacturer (and each one changes it every year) so you should look it up on the manufacturer's website.

mikewhatever
December 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
If you have a legitimate Windows 7 installation, shouldn't you have a disk as well or some kind of recovery media provided by the computer vendor? To put it another way, you don't just make Windows7 installation disks, you buy them. ;)

Dark_Stang
December 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
If you have a legitimate Windows 7 installation, shouldn't you have a disk as well or some kind of recovery media provided by the computer vendor? To put it another way, you don't just make Windows7 installation disks, you buy them. ;)

Actually, in the USA most computers don't come with installation disks anymore. Almost all of them come with a recovery partition, and it is up to the end user (or a technician that sets up their machine for them) to burn the discs. It usually takes a few DVD's to do because of all the extra junk that the manufacturers put on computers these days.

Quackers
December 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM
And then they usually insist on using the whole hard disc to re-install.

wilee-nilee
December 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM
You can back up the whole W7 install, with the W7 backup tools, and reload it with a recovery disc. I have mine backed up to a external HD loads in about 10 to 15 minutes at the most activated.

Not sure though about this working on a wiped hd that just has a empty NTFS formatted and slipping the image back in. It works as a overwrite when there is a W7 OS on there already.

mikewhatever
December 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Actually, in the USA most computers don't come with installation disks anymore. Almost all of them come with a recovery partition, and it is up to the end user (or a technician that sets up their machine for them) to burn the discs. It usually takes a few DVD's to do because of all the extra junk that the manufacturers put on computers these days.

Is there any indication the OP is from the USA? These are international forums with people all over the world (outside of USA, that is :p) discussing things. Regardless, I don't know of a way, that anyone can use, to make an installation cd from a Windows7 partition. Do you?

Dark_Stang
December 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
You can back up the whole W7 install, with the W7 backup tools, and reload it with a recovery disc. I have mine backed up to a external HD loads in about 10 to 15 minutes at the most activated.

Not sure though about this working on a wiped hd that just has a empty NTFS formatted and slipping the image back in. It works as a overwrite when there is a W7 OS on there already.
The full system backup only comes with Professional and Ultimate editions. Which is stupid, but hey... Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

airborne2k10
December 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I actually am from the states. Anyways, I have found that this laptop does infact have a recovery partition that I couldn't see by any means when booted in Windows. It was very simple to find once I used gnome Gparted to view my partitions when in ubuntu. Now all I'm concerned with is that I will be able to get everything working once I delete my windows partition. Im using wine, so it will get rid of my current Ubuntu set up, and even that right now isn't perfect

oldfred
December 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I saved this link. But if you are not yet sure you want to get rid of windows, why not just shrink it leaving only 20% free space (it needs that much minimum to work) and leave it for the time being.

Backup windows before install - post by Mark Phelps
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1626990
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

airborne2k10
December 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Ehh...I'm kindof a jump in head first type of person. Open source is my new years resolution!! My hard drive is now reformatted and ubuntu is the sole OS

wilee-nilee
December 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ehh...I'm kindof a jump in head first type of person. Open source is my new years resolution!! My hard drive is now reformatted and ubuntu is the sole OS

Thats fine but don't jump in head first at our exspense in having to help you later on or somebody else.

garvinrick4
December 25th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Have about a 1 year old HP G71-340US and you get one chance to make a copy of windows 7, takes 3 DVD's and you can make unlimited amount of recovery disks.