PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need Help Installing .tar.gz file

ranjix
December 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I downloaded exaile installer in .tar.gz format. This is my first time trying to install file of this format. Need Help for Installation!!!

Quadunit404
December 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
You might have downloaded the source of Exaile by mistake. Installable packages have either the filename extension .deb or .rpm. .tar.gz archives usually just contain the source, which you have to build to install.

tushar maroo
December 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Try sudo tar xvfz filename.tar.gz -C /opt (location)........
i installed xampp by this command line....:popcorn:

mikewhatever
December 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Tar.gz is an archiving format, similar to zip or rar in the Windows world. You can't install a tar.gz, all you can do is unpack it.

Rubi1200
December 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I downloaded exaile installer in .tar.gz format. This is my first time trying to install file of this format. Need Help for Installation!!!
Why?

The program exaile is available from the repositories and you can download and install it via Synaptic (probably the Software Center too).

ranjix
December 25th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I want to keep back up files too. I think I downloaded source file. Where can I download .rpm or .deb file of exaile and gstreamer?

psusi
December 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I want to keep back up files too. I think I downloaded source file. Where can I download .rpm or .deb file of exaile and gstreamer?

Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center. Type in exaile, click install.

tommcd
December 25th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I want to keep back up files too. ...
When you install packages from Ubuntu's repositories (with the software center, synaptic, or apt-get) the backup
.deb files are kept in /var/cache/apt/archives/. Have a look in that directory and see for yourself. This is so that if you ever want to reinstall a package, you do not have to download it again.

If you want to clean old .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ that can no longer be downloaded, run:

sudo apt-get autoclean
This way your archives are always up to date, without any old .debs in there.

ranjix
December 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks!! That worked :)

Rubi1200
December 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Glad you got it sorted out :)

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

ranjix
December 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Done :)

WthIteh
December 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
You could also use a deb caching program if you want to have permanent and reliable archive of your programs. The approx is a good package for this task.
So approx will download files and host them locally for synaptic/apt-get/etc. So you could install them on other computers by adding a "yourip:9999" url to apt sources too.

ranjix
December 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Done :)