PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Reinstallation of Windows 7 which is dual booted with Ubuntu

trancephorm
December 24th, 2010, 05:30 PM
So I have working dual-boot configuration with Grub (installed Ubuntu as the 2nd system). Now I just want to reinstall Windows 7 on its partition. What is the safest way to do this?

Quackers
December 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Do you have a Win 7 installation disc? That would be best.
If you try re-installing from a set of recovery dvd's or from a recovery partition it may insist on using the whole disc.

trancephorm
December 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Sure I have it, but I assume Windows 7 will mess the booting process, so I'm asking.

Quackers
December 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, any re-install of Windows will re-write the mbr and mess up the Ubuntu boot process. It would be necessary to re-install Grub2 to the mbr after.

trancephorm
December 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
OK, so I guess this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows) is where the needed document is residing?

Quackers
December 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Normally it would be done by booting from the Live cd/usb and opening a terminal and entering

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
Where sdXY in the first command is your Ubuntu root partition (eg sda5) and sdX in the second command is the disc designation (eg if sda5 is in the first command then sda would be in the second command)
Note no partition number in the second command!

kansasnoob
December 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
So I have working dual-boot configuration with Grub (installed Ubuntu as the 2nd system). Now I just want to reinstall Windows 7 on its partition. What is the safest way to do this?

Actually we should know what the current partition arrangement is so, if you've not begun yet, please post the output of:

sudo parted -l

trancephorm
December 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thank guys, it works ok!