PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Driver problems (?) for Lubuntu 10.10 as USB persistent install

M_Mynaardt
December 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hi there!

I'm keen on creating my own "virtual machine"; a.k.a. a persistent OS on a USB flash drive. I decided to give Lubuntu 10.10 a go, because I'm keen on figuring out how to use LXDE.

But there was a snag. My persistent install mostly worked; with the notable exception of wireless connections. No matter what I did, I could not connect. I would select a channel to log onto (i.e. my own network of my own wireless router) HOWEVER, the log in screen would flash on the screen for maybe 0.25 seconds and disappear. In other words it would not stay long enough for me to even move the mouse to it, much less log on to it.

Now a friend of mine who know more about this sort of thing than I do told me that the problem might be the drivers. So, Lubuntu is looking for hardware specific drivers on the machine I created the persistent install on (my desktop), which of course are not the same as the drivers for my laptop I was trying to run this persistent USB install from (my Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop).

Does anyone know a way around this, so that Lubuntu 10.10 runs right and proper (as far as drivers are concerned), regardless of the machine it's being run off of?

Thanks!