PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maverick Live CD / Installation issue on Sahara laptop

BlueAngel-CPT
December 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi there everyone,

My sister has this old laptop, it's a Sahara NB610-LE1D, that she wants to use as a karaoke/music machine. Being an avid Ubuntu user for about 2 years now, I recommended an Ubuntu installation with Rhythmbox. Fantastic, she said - you install it and show me how to use it.

I downloaded an iso of version 10.10, burned it and tried to boot up the laptop with it (there is a beta version of Windows 7 on it at the moment that's expired, it's really not usable.)

It gets past the boot-up sound, and the new maverick wallpaper loads, and then it just sits there, with the mouse pointer changing between the pointer and the little circle busy ball. I've left it for a few hours yesterday and nothing else happened.

I've done a memory test, and a disk test, both of which are fine.

I'm about to throw this machine out of the window...

What can I try next?

Rubi1200
December 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hi,
please post the full specifications for the machine in question.

This sounds as if it might be either a RAM or graphics issue.

Thanks.

BlueAngel-CPT
December 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
It has a Celeron M 1.6Ghz processor
512Mb RAM
40Gb HDD - with a "beta" version of Windows 7 on it (that has expired)
SiS VGA and (I think) SiS chipset mainboard

Rubi1200
December 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't know anything about SIS cards, but I have read that they can be a problem.

Try this though and see if it helps:

When you boot the computer and the GRUB menu comes up and the entry for Ubuntu is highlighted press "e" to edit.

Find the line that ends with
quiet splash

Remove quiet splash and type nomodeset instead.

Then, Ctrl + x to boot.

If that helps we can try and find some other way to make this more permanent.

BlueAngel-CPT
December 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Since what I am trying to do is intall Ubuntu, I am booting off the live CD (trying to, at least). What do I need to press to get the grub menu? Because by default it doesn't show.

Rubi1200
December 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Oops! Sorry, thought it was installed already.

To boot from the LiveCD:

Put the LiveCD in and boot up;

when you see the Ubuntu logo hit Enter;

Choose language and leave the default Try as a live cd or whatever it says again;

Important: hit F6 and then Esc to see the boot line

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Now, again this is important, move the cursor backwards and remove quiet splash;

Add the following parameter:

nomodeset

In other words, the boot should look like this:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz nomodeset --

Now hit Enter and hopefully you will be at the desktop

ubaidillah
December 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Since what I am trying to do is intall Ubuntu, I am booting off the live CD (trying to, at least). What do I need to press to get the grub menu? Because by default it doesn't show.

I hope this link can help you http://technomess.blogspot.com/2010/11/ubuntu-1010-and-lenovo-ideapad-s10-3.html