PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Ubuntu (something like Phone Edition)should jump to mobile phone market?

leoplanxxi
December 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM
...In order to compete with WP7, Android, iPhone, etc.

Script Warlock
December 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
that might depend on the demand.... but i love to see it run on the phones

akand074
December 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't think there is a point personally. Ubuntu is not a mobile OS, they would have to form a department to design a Mobile version of Ubuntu.. which likely wouldn't be very much like the Ubuntu we use now otherwise it wouldn't be very convenient for a mobile phone. They also don't have as much money as companies like Google, Microsoft, and Apple to put into it's development.

Ubuntu is going into the Tablet market, that's a place where Ubuntu as is would be solid as long as it has the touch support. But for the mobile market, if you want a Linux-based OS, Android is a phenomenal mobile phone OS.

leoplanxxi
December 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM
that might depend on the demand.... but i love to see it run on the phones

me too!

beetleman64
December 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I believe I'm right in saying there was an Ubuntu mobile OS a couple of years back, but I don't know what became of that. Seeing as I haven't heard about it for a while, I'm guessing it was scrapped after a short while.

Anyway, I think there's enough Linux-based mobile OSes, what with Android, Nokia's MeeGo (winner of my 2010 stupid name awards) and Palm's WebOS. Yet another, and from a company with no history in the mobile marketplace, would likely fail due to being drowned out. If you want a Linux phone, get an Android based one.

edit: Wikipedia reveals all, last release was 9.10 Alpha 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Mobile

edit 2: Seems this was more like a tablet or netbook OS, a role which is being filled by UNE. Sorry for getting people's hopes up.

NightwishFan
December 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I used to always tell my friends I wont get a smart phone until it was the Ubuntu phone, but then Android came out which sort of filled my requirements. Now I have no need for a smart phone though, so I suppose I will only get an Ubuntu one if it ever does come out.

t0p
December 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Some people think that widespread adoption of Linux "on the desktop" (whatever that means) is hampered by the wide variety of distros available. These people say that if only 1 or 2 distros were available, Linux users would flock to it/them; then its/their visibility would improve, it/they would be deemed "mainstream" or "desktop-ready" by more people, use would increase, visibility increases. vicious circle bites Windows on the butt and Linux would be king. Yay!

I don't necessarily believe the scenario outlined above. But if it's true, it might explain why friends who stare back blankly when I talk about Linux are all buying Android phones like crazies. If I tell them "Android is Linux," they look at me blankly again. But at least they're using Linux, right? At least the open source monster has its big hairy foot in the door.

Does any of the above affect my choice of phone platform? No, cos I don't use a smartphone. My good ol' dumbphone, 9 years old next year, is still working. If it dies soon, I'll get an Android phone - I have see some lovely models, and they're so cheap compared to Apple's offerings. An Ubuntu phone might be wonderful; but would its development have a negative affect on its other products (ie the desktop OS I'm using right now). Who knows? Not me, my TARDIS is in the shop.

treesurf
December 29th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Well, you can run Ubuntu on and Android phone, if you're really interested:

http://www.xda-developers.com/windows-mobile/ubuntu-0-3-for-hd2-released/