PDA

View Full Version : More than 2 monitors?

Dustin2128
December 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
I'm wanting a 3 monitor setup for gaming- having the center divided down my 2 monitors is quite annoying, especially since the two have different color qualities. Anyway, I'm wanting to upgrade to 3 monitors for that reason. Rude awakening time- most graphics cards in my price range only support 2 monitors- technically, not just because of port issues. So I was wondering, besides buying 2 cards (SLI support knocks up the price by around 20$), is there a way to give me 3 cheaply? If it's more than, say, 50$, I'll just buy 2 9800's and link them. What I'm talking about as a solution is a kind of smart splitter, I've seen them- instead of just splitting two vga/dvi cables, they lead to this hub with 2 ports on it. I believe the hub uses some sort of software to report to the 2 monitor graphics card a single monitor, twice as big. The third monitor just goes in the other DVI port. </rambling>

sandyd
December 24th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I'm wanting a 3 monitor setup for gaming- having the center divided down my 2 monitors is quite annoying, especially since the two have different color qualities. Anyway, I'm wanting to upgrade to 3 monitors for that reason. Rude awakening time- most graphics cards in my price range only support 2 monitors- technically, not just because of port issues. So I was wondering, besides buying 2 cards (SLI support knocks up the price by around 20$), is there a way to give me 3 cheaply? If it's more than, say, 50$, I'll just buy 2 9800's and link them. What I'm talking about as a solution is a kind of smart splitter, I've seen them- instead of just splitting two vga/dvi cables, they lead to this hub with 2 ports on it. I believe the hub uses some sort of software to report to the 2 monitor graphics card a single monitor, twice as big. The third monitor just goes in the other DVI port. </rambling>
Quite a long list of em' here ;)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+dual+link+splitter&x=0&y=0

merry christmas :)

Dustin2128
December 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Quite a long list of em' here ;)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+dual+link+splitter&x=0&y=0

merry christmas :)
thanks, but 'dumb splitters' (e.g. a DVI cable with 2 ends) would still report to the card 2 monitors, not merged as one. It just clones the output. Meh, for bandwidth-speed reasons, I think I'm just going to get 2 Geforce 9800's. If I SLI bridge them, will they still provide output to 3-4 monitors?