PDA

View Full Version : Don't quite know how to ask for this but...

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Ok, so i'm pretty new to Ubuntu. For those who may have encountered my posts before, I'm a trainee teacher. Just wondering if there is an open source alternative for SMARTBOARD software, that is compatible with the Smart Boards. If so, please could someone point me in their direction?

Just with me updating every 6 months or so, its getting pretty tiresome re-installing the smart board stuff from SMART technologies, i tried to carry it over when i updated but it hasn't worked.

Just thought seen as the Smart board is becoming popular in both education and business, there may be something open source and compatible thats floating about (which doesn't take me hours to unpack and set up)?

jerenept
December 23rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Ok, so i'm pretty new to Ubuntu. For those who may have encountered my posts before, I'm a trainee teacher. Just wondering if there is an open source alternative for SMARTBOARD software, that is compatible with the Smart Boards. If so, please could someone point me in their direction?

Just with me updating every 6 months or so, its getting pretty tiresome re-installing the smart board stuff from SMART technologies, i tried to carry it over when i updated but it hasn't worked.

Just thought seen as the Smart board is becoming popular in both education and business, there may be something open source and compatible thats floating about (which doesn't take me hours to unpack and set up)?

We have a couple smartboards in my school, and, my advice is, just use what it came with. They seem to be complex technology, and expensive too.

I'm not sure, but I think it works on some kind of touchscreen system. There may be Ubuntu drivers for it, but then again, there may not.

earthpigg
December 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
I don't know the direct answer to your question, but I have a suggestion if no one else is able to answer your question directly and in the way that you want:

Dual boot Ubuntu LTS and Ubuntu.

Use the LTS install for work, and the other one for everything else.

Then, you only have to struggle with SMARTBOARD every three years, and you still get to have the 6-month releases for play.

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thats what i'm planning on doing, I know you have to download the software separately, basically, all the software is on your laptop, the board is just like a touch screen monitor.

Just thought id see if anything was about in the open source community.

jerenept
December 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Thats what i'm planning on doing, I know you have to download the software separately, basically, all the software is on your laptop, the board is just like a touch screen monitor.

oh... cool, I would suggest 10.10 Netbook, or 10.04 Desktop.

(I like Unity a lot)

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
That is my current action plan, ive been putting off updating my desktop until i could get it working on 10.10. Just thought id ask, you never know...

And i do have a 10.10 netbook, 10.04 desktop. Great minds eh

jerenept
December 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
That is my current action plan, ive been putting off updating my desktop until i could get it working on 10.10. Just thought id ask, you never know...

And, I strongly suggest dual-booting Windows, you know, just in case of an emergency ;)

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Talk about great minds, i have windows dual boot on desktop (im a bit of a paranoid freak, i have everything just in case), just for the just in case situations.

Brandel Valico
December 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
http://smartboard.sourceforge.net/

koenn
December 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM

I'd also say : do LTS to avoid the 6-monthly breakage.
Or tell us why this smartboard stuff is so hard to re--install -- maybe it can be made simplier.

I would be surprised if there is actually an open source alternative to this - otoh it would be similar to either touch screens, or tablet technology, I guess, so it's probably not impossible.

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks, thought there would be something like that underway. I'm going to bookmark it and look at that tomorrow.

sarsar
December 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Im not too sure. I may have a go after christmas and see whats going on and why its so hard to install. I will post to the community how im getting on.

jerenept
December 24th, 2010, 04:33 AM
http://smartboard.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately, this is still in the planning stage. There are no files in the project.