PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB /system boot what do I need ?????

dreuzel
December 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
GRUB /system boot what do I need ?????

I used to have a window system that can boot a disk... ok this is not perfect but an unique position
is required to start, otherwize you are in a mess anyhow... (MBT) this used to be called a boot block...

A had a boot.ini to switch between boot-able systems.....

Then I had to learn GRUB.... a mystical device naming convention troubled me
from finding the right disk a cryptic description blocked me to find what I needed ... ok as long as I stick to one and the same system i can
get it to work controlling a well hidden grub.lst file .....

Now this is improved,????!!!???
Disk names have become magical number dependent on location and content nothing is transparent any more ... 1 error (switched disk order .... and the boot goes completely in the mist
with 3 disks you have hundreds of combinations 99 of them clearly failing
(sorry did not and refuse to read 100 pages manual description to do a simple thing)

As I want to change anything I have to dive in very complex system of all different files
and somewhere within 100 lines patch some information....????
Nothing happens only upto when I Run a difficult procedure that should help me boot my system
but as I can not boot my system I have no Internet.... I can not find the procedure ....

so the best option is to erase the system ...

Where are we going to ???? what happened to clean and simple ??
why is booting the most complex UNIX operation in the world
this is NO design......

Can someone please advise on a CLEAN ands simple boot system That works....
is NOT COMPLEX and tricky where I can simply chose between a few system disks and
press a button and viola ....

I URGENTLY NEED TO KILL THE NEW GRUB in Ubuntu 10.10 it is a messs

kansasnoob
December 24th, 2010, 02:30 AM
It's not at all clear to me what problems you're having with grub 2 but I wrote this HowTo for those corner issues where legacy grub is either needed or desired:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

If you need more detailed help then we really need to see the output of the Boot Info Script as described here:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/