PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Managing OpenVPN users

Frodaddy
December 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
I currently am running
1. x86_64 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
2. OpenVPN 2.1.0 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH] [PF_INET6] [eurephia]

I am wondering if there was an easy way to manage resources (mainly bandwidth) based on the users connected. As far as mem/cpu it seems these aren't very intensive but I think top is sufficient. Also is it possible to see what users are logged in and authenticated?

Any ideas?

kroon78
December 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Not sure if this is the answer to your question, but webmin would give you a gui to mess with openvpn and all its modules.

samosamo
December 24th, 2010, 05:12 PM
are you familiar with the concept of bandwidth shaping? aka QoS? not sure if it's available on tun/tap interfaces but you could check it out

Frodaddy
December 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
are you familiar with the concept of bandwidth shaping? aka QoS? not sure if it's available on tun/tap interfaces but you could check it out
Yes, I'm familiar with QoS, but AFAIK it's usually done at the hardware/firmware level of the router.

I don't necessarily need to tune QoS parameters, but rather I'd like to just know if there is a bandwidth problem (so like user X is using 2Mbit/s and user Y is using 2Mbit/s). Maybe it's not even an issue for me, just being proactive.

Frodaddy
December 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Not sure if this is the answer to your question, but webmin would give you a gui to mess with openvpn and all its modules.

So this?
http://www.webmin.com/cgi-bin/search_third.cgi?search=openvpn

Doesn't seem to be supported very well =/

Skadork
January 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
So this?
http://www.webmin.com/cgi-bin/search_third.cgi?search=openvpn

Doesn't seem to be supported very well =/

It is pretty intuitive to use. I use it on 3 different ubuntu servers and it works very well. I love that it will export everything needed for the client cause I can just zip it up, email it to the user and they unzip it, restart the client and it works...