PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Thunderbird profile on Dropbox, "conflicted copies"?

gogolink
December 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hi,

I'm running 10.10 on two computers, and I'm using Dropbox to keep Thunderbird synced.

(I created a subfolder "ThunderbirdProfile" in my Dropbox folder, moved the contents of [random-letters-and-numbers].default (in /home/[username]/.thunderbird) there, and modified the file profiles.ini (also in /home/[username]/.thunderbird): I changed the value of "IsRelative" from 1 to 0, and the Path to /home/[username]/Dropbox/ThunderbirdProfile.)

Syncing works basically fine: I have the same Thunderbird address books, calendars (Lightning extension), and folders on both computers.

But there's one problem: Thunderbird keeps creating "conflicted copies" of various files (I guess because I often open Thunderbird before Dropbox is done syncing), and these copies quickly eat up a lot of my valuable space on Dropbox. I do delete these files occasionally, but I wonder whether there's any way to either keep Thunderbird from creating them in the first place, or delete them automatically (a script that runs at startup?).
Or is there a more elegant way to sync Thunderbird across two Ubuntu computers - one that doesn't involve keeping the entire profile folder on Dropbox? (I'd be happy to use Ubuntu One, but I don't know if there's anything different I could do with it, given that I'm not using Evolution.)

Any ideas would be much appreciated.