PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't boot from live CD but Kubuntu will???

horseatingweeds
December 23rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm trying to run Ubuntu on an old laptop, a Gateway M520S-H2. The Kubuntu 10.10 live CD runs fine. Right away the menu comes up allowing you to check the CD, try it, or install it, and so on. But the Ubuntu 10.04 live CD, it shows "Ubuntu" on the screen in a logo-ish way for several minutes, then the "Ubuntu" deteriorates in an unhealthy looking way, then the screen just sits there blank forever.

So then I tried an Ubuntu live DVD. Same things. I checked both the CD and DVD for errors, the DVD with Ubuntu's checker and the CD after I burned it. Also, both disc work on another computer.

Does anyone have any idea why Ubuntu live CD doesn't work on this system while Kubuntu does? Must it be something with the GUI? DO you think I'd have more luck with Ubuntu 10.10? (worth a try I guess...)

Thanks.

Tadcrazio
December 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
not sure what causes the problem but I've had this issue several times in the past. Disk works fine then all of a sudden that same problems happens. I usually just burn a new disk and accept my loss.

akand074
December 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
I think you should try Ubuntu 10.10. The only difference between the two is the desktop environment and default applications. There shouldn't be variance between the two. Though, if a properly burned Ubuntu 10.10 disk doesn't load, I withdraw my statement.

horseatingweeds
December 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Well, I burned an Ubuntu 10.10 CD. It's working better, I've gotten to the point where you're asked to try Ubutnu or install Ubuntu. I clicked try. And since then, the pointer has been spinning. I'm not sure how long it's been, but more than 20 minutes. I remember it taking some time to boot from the CD on my other machine, but I'm losing confidence by the minute that anything is happening. And it doesn't look like the CD is moving. I'm suspecting the CD drive is bad - but I keep remembering the Kubuntu CD fires right up.

akand074
December 24th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Well, I burned an Ubuntu 10.10 CD. It's working better, I've gotten to the point where you're asked to try Ubutnu or install Ubuntu. I clicked try. And since then, the pointer has been spinning. I'm not sure how long it's been, but more than 20 minutes. I remember it taking some time to boot from the CD on my other machine, but I'm losing confidence by the minute that anything is happening. And it doesn't look like the CD is moving. I'm suspecting the CD drive is bad - but I keep remembering the Kubuntu CD fires right up.

Uh yeah it's unlikely that anything was happening. Odd. Perhaps the Kubuntu installer is a bit different. If you can choose to install without trying first.. then I guess it's not a big deal. You could always try using the alternate install ISO.

horseatingweeds
December 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM
THe Ubuntu 10.10 CD is working now. I'm tempted to try the other two discs again... The only thing I did was remove some programs from the Win partition - which wasn't full. But I also moved the computer around, so perhaps I jostled the disc drive around and made it start working? Who knows...