PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4

ki4jgt
December 23rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
Look, I've loved FF since I discovered it, but some of the new features are just plain annoying. For one, one of the reasons I didn't use Google chrome for my main browser, is because they somehow manage to sync my entire browsing history to my Google account (without even asking me) every time I would use it. Now FF is syncing??? WHY???? There have been a number of other things this week that have made me question FF's direction. Unfortunately I took for granted that I would be so mad about it that I would have to remember the next time I saw it, but anyway, what do you guys think of FF4?

kaldor
December 23rd, 2010, 03:01 AM
Look, I've loved FF since I discovered it, but some of the new features are just plain annoying. For one, one of the reasons I didn't use Google chrome for my main browser, is because they somehow manage to sync my entire browsing history to my Google account (without even asking me) every time I would use it. Now FF is syncing??? WHY???? There have been a number of other things this week that have made me question FF's direction. Unfortunately I took for granted that I would be so mad about it that I would have to remember the next time I saw it, but anyway, what do you guys think of FF4?

I believe Firefox Sync is simply for syncing data between your computers, and that it is easily turned off.

I like Firefox 4 overall.

NightwishFan
December 23rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
I would like to try it, but I do not want to make a new apparmor profile for it, so I will stick to 3.6 until I migrate to natty.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Look, I've loved FF since I discovered it, but some of the new features are just plain annoying. For one, one of the reasons I didn't use Google chrome for my main browser, is because they somehow manage to sync my entire browsing history to my Google account (without even asking me) every time I would use it

I think you may be misinterpreting something. Chrome does not sync your browser history, or anything really, out of the box. Like Firefox, you can easily set it to sync your bookmarks, extensions, preferences and form autofill stuff. Neither browser does this by default. In Chrome, that feature is enabled under Preferences › Personal Stuff › Sync. In Firefox 4, I believe there is an icon for it on the status bar.

I expect you're seeing Google.com's Web History (www.google.com/psearch) feature, which logs Google searches you have made (and results you have clicked) while logged in to your account for various (purportedly good) reasons. From the sounds of it you want to disable that. They have instructions for doing so on the help page (http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/topic.py?topic=14148&hl=en#pause).

Granted, I use Chromium (http://www.chromium.org/), but the delta between Chromium and Chrome is pretty small and I know for sure full web history is not one of the differences.

ki4jgt
December 23rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I think you may be misinterpreting something. Chrome does not sync your browser history, or anything really, out of the box. Like Firefox, you can easily set it to sync your bookmarks, extensions, preferences and form autofill stuff. Neither browser does this by default. In Chrome, that feature is enabled under Preferences › Personal Stuff › Sync. In Firefox 4, I believe there is an icon for it on the status bar.

I expect you're seeing Google.com's Web History (www.google.com/psearch) feature, which logs Google searches you have made (and results you have clicked) while logged in to your account for various (purportedly good) reasons. From the sounds of it you want to disable that. They have instructions for doing so on the help page (http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/topic.py?topic=14148&hl=en#pause).

Granted, I use Chromium (http://www.chromium.org/), but the delta between Chromium and Chrome is pretty small and I know for sure full web history is not one of the differences.

Every time I've used chrome I've found sync documents in my Google Docs. I did not set them up to be there. I also understand what Google's search history feature is, I told Google to disable it on all my accounts when I set them up. (3) (not some spambot LOL) Yet every time I use Chrome, I see autofill of information which doesn't belong in some places. (I have lost some secrets held by personal friends of mine because of things the autofill let slip.) I'm sorry, but Chrome has drifted away from the chromium project. I know somethings are meant to be helpful, but in trying to help, if you're not careful of what you're helping, you may start to hinder. Perhaps it was the fact that I used ChromeOS a while back and it needed to store information about my account and sync it, (If that's the case) I no longer need that, b/c I no longer use ChromeOS.

EDIT: Just remembered my other prob with FF. The back button no longer has a history. I used to love that about FF. It made it so much more simple.

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
It doesn't really matter much. Firefox 4 is set to be released the same time as Duke Nukem Forever. :)

3Miro
December 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
In Chromium you can just disable the auto-sync feature or limits capabilities. I sync only bookmarks and extensions, it is very convenient. It would be a nice feature on FF.

BTW to enable it on FF, you need to make a special account (with mozilla I believe).

tjeremiah
December 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
It doesn't really matter much. Firefox 4 is set to be released the same time as Duke Nukem Forever. :)
:lolflag:

jerenept
December 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
EDIT: Just remembered my other prob with FF. The back button no longer has a history. I used to love that about FF. It made it so much more simple.

Click and hold....... :)