PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] custom kernel install

Hygaphunkik
December 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
All I want is a lxde based desktop to play with and tweak. The problem is that I am using rather esoteric hardware. An xcore86 device on chip to be precise. I have a custom kernel in deb format, and I managed to install UNR 9.10 and then install the custom kernel. Strip out as much obvious gnome stuff and install an lxde desktop. Now this is a quite good solution but still leaves me with a lot of junk that I am not sure I need. 2 ideas occurred to me. Install lubuntu and then install the custom kernel(this failed to work because lubuntu's kernel refused to play nicely with the xcore) or do a minimal install and work my way up adding the things that I wanted. (Again this ground to a halt when the screen went blank)

I looked at unetbootin to try and put in a custom kernel but to a novice like myself it did not work very well.

Can anyone help, either a list of everything that can be removed safely from a UNR install to leave me with a minimal install, or a way to insert a custom kernel into a lubuntu iso?

Lone_Joker
December 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Try installing the Server Version of Ubuntu for a more minimal installation. Or you could try another Linux distro which is more minimal (tend to not be newbie-friendly).