PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No GUI after update

rfbeck
December 22nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
After I allowed 10.10 to update today (it installed a bunch of stuff including I think a kernel update), I rebooted and got the CLI login screen. After which I got the CLI prompt. How do I get my normal desktop back?

______
Robert

wilee-nilee
December 22nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
After I allowed 10.10 to update today (it installed a bunch of stuff including I think a kernel update), I rebooted and got the CLI login screen. After which I got the CLI prompt. How do I get my normal desktop back?

______
Robert

Do you have a dual boot with startup manager installed?

rfbeck
December 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I have a dual boot system, but start up manager is not installed. Should I install it? Thanks.
______
Robert

wilee-nilee
December 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I have a dual boot system, but start up manager is not installed. Should I install it? Thanks.
______
Robert

No don't install it. Lets just do this it will give me a better picture of your set up then just a bunch of questions. Although this does cause more questions for confirmation.

So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

rfbeck
December 24th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Oh, you know what? It turns out I just had to reinstall my NVIDIA drivers. What a pain that was! Thanks.
______
Robert