PDA

View Full Version : A+ and network+ certifications?

cptrohn
December 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I know it's probably been asked 1000 times, but I have just been offered the chance to take a course to get both of these and have it 100% funded... I know this is just kind of a base thing, but what kinds of careers would be available to someone with these and what would a good next move be? MCSE Or a Cisco CCNA?

Zzl1xndd
December 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
They are good starter certs to have, and a lot of places just expect you to have your A+.

MCSE VS CCNA really depends on what you want to do. And MCSE isn't available after for anything after Server 2003. It would be MCITP: Enterprise admin now.

Cisco Certs are known for being pretty rough so if you do go that route make sure you are ready.

crl0901
December 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Security+ would be another good one to have. Cisco certs are definitely tough, much tougher than CompTIA. CCNA would be good to have. Also, since this is a Linux site, I'm guessing you're interesting in Linux administration. Linux+ would be a good start, but you definitely should get the RHCSA.

CharlesA
December 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
+1 to Security+ as well.

I've got A+ and Net+, and Security+ is next on the list.

All three of those apply to any OS you use, be it Mac, Windows or Linux.

cptrohn
December 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Security+ would be another good one to have. Cisco certs are definitely tough, much tougher than CompTIA. CCNA would be good to have. Also, since this is a Linux site, I'm guessing you're interesting in Linux administration. Linux+ would be a good start, but you definitely should get the RHCSA.

Yes, I am VERY interested in obtaining linux certs.... The thing is in my area the market is of course dominated by Windows at the moment.... I would probably have to move to Chicago or somewhere like that for it to be really relevant for me in a career path. OR maybe there would be a huge hole in the market here ready to be exploited.... Hmmmm that gives me something else to think about..

Zzl1xndd
December 23rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Well the more the better. Certs can often get you in for an interview or be the reason you are picked over another candidate.

phrostbyte
December 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM
CompTIA certs are pretty bad, IMO. In order to make them less of a joke they are requiring constant renewal for their certs now, non-retroactively (starting in 2011?).

IMO, this makes them more than worthless. Because anyone who has A+ or Security+ has it for life, while YOU will have to retake the test every three years or something like that or you lose your certification.

This strange unfairness makes CompTIA's certifications not really worth it, because you'll be "competing" with CompTIA lifers who have the same certification as you but a much easier time maintaining it.

So I suggest you look more serious cert that ALWAYS had a CE/renewal requirement.

CharlesA
December 23rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
It looks like the only ones are are going to have to be renewed every 3 years are A+, Net+ and Security+.

So far at least. Starting Jan 1, 2011.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx