PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyway to change this?

Mr. ViC
December 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
So, I've installed a new Vista Theme, just to see how it looked, and I kind of like it.

There's just one problem.

This:

http://img.myph.us/fNW.png

The wireless icon and the Shutter one have no problems and fit there fine. The aMSN one and the others are just plain ugly with that white background.

I know I could maybe print some of the taskbar on an image and use it as background.

But is there any other workaround on this?

Thank you. :)

karthick87
December 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Refresh the gnome panels,

killall gnome-panel

Mr. ViC
December 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks mate, but they still have that ugly background. :P

Any other ideas?

karthick87
December 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Have you changed your theme recently??Try restarting your system..

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Do those icons actually have transparent backgrounds?

Mr. ViC
December 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Have you changed your theme recently??Try restarting your system..

Yes, and restarted it already. :)

Do those icons actually have transparent backgrounds?

Yeah, probabbly not... Anyway I can figure out where they are and edit the images?

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
This would appear to explain it:

http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/index.php?topic=7107.0

oarion7
December 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, and restarted it already. :)

Yeah, probabbly not... Anyway I can figure out where they are and edit the images?

I think that solution may only pertain to the amsn icon. The other icons indeed are transparent, they are just not showing up properly in GNOME. This has been an issue in the last couple versions of Ubuntu that as far as I know no one has taken seriously enough to fix. It's at the bottom of the priority list for some reason. Sometimes, random icons show up with a color background in the notification area, even if they are transparent files.

If you were to install gnome-color-chooser and then run it, then go to the Panel tab and at the top change the normal, background color to black, does it change the background of those icons to black? Then they at least look a little better.

The good news is, if that doesn't work, then you have a different problem than I thought, and there may be an easy fix.

EDIT: Actually... the issue may not be anything other than the theme itself. Because the background of those icons isn't white, but a specific gradient that might be generated by the theme for other purposes. If that's indeed the case, the fix could lie in finding the respective images in the theme files. But I'm not sure.

karthick87
December 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Try changing your theme and see if it helps you..

Mr. ViC
December 22nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
First of all, thank you all guys you were really great with me and I really appreciate it, learning something new everyday and I'm even using more Ubuntu than Seven so I guess that's a good thing :P

About the colors, it is fixed. I indeed had to costumize the theme colors, guess it was because of it, it all works now and the icons are great.

Just one more little question :P

As I said, I haven't changed the theme, just the colors. My "Start" button is from windows:

http://img.myph.us/QQl.png

See it there?

I would like to replace it with something better, so, do any of you guys have any idea where it is located?

Thanks again! :P

Mr. ViC
December 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Bump. :)

Mr. ViC
December 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
One last bump here... C'mon guys it's Xmas. :p

Mr. ViC
December 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Got it solved.

Thanks for who helped.