PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on a pendrive, running on a mac & a misbehaving qtiplot

luacaron
December 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hello there,

I recently migrated to a mac (Snow Leopard) and got into the complication of being able to read all my origin files in it.
Well, to read origin files in a mac you have two options:
(1) install qtiplot.
(2) install some virtual machine + windows + origin... or what I call the "no way" option.

Now I have had enough trying to compile qtiplot on my mac (Thank You Ion Vasilief), and there is no way I am going to pay for such an unstable software.

Thus I went for a 3rd option. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a 4gb pen drive. I used windows to do that since then I can use the automated installer and have a persistent install.
By the way it is impressive how little tools and instructions to do that on a mac there are, I seriously thought it would be easier.

Anyway, I then installed rEFIt on my mac, plugged the pendrive and was happy to see that Ubuntu worked on the first try. Recognized my ethernet and had a very easy interface to get me the program I wanted: qtiplot.
Installing it was a piece of cake, took a couple minutes.
The surprise came when I tried to open my .opj (origin) files on my newly installed qtiplot on Ubuntu. Giberish. I mean, I tried opening them on the trial version of qtiplot for mac, so I know they should be read correctly.
The data in the tables show funny characters and the graphs, when they show, show nonsense.
I read the files (the .opj) from a pendrive as well, directly and then copying it into the desktop of Ubuntu, none worked.

Does anyone have any idea why?

waditalipetit
February 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hello there,

I recently migrated to a mac (Snow Leopard) and got into the complication of being able to read all my origin files in it.
Well, to read origin files in a mac you have two options:
(1) install qtiplot.
(2) install some virtual machine + windows + origin... or what I call the "no way" option.

Now I have had enough trying to compile qtiplot on my mac (Thank You Ion Vasilief), and there is no way I am going to pay for such an unstable software.

Thus I went for a 3rd option. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a 4gb pen drive. I used windows to do that since then I can use the automated installer and have a persistent install.
By the way it is impressive how little tools and instructions to do that on a mac there are, I seriously thought it would be easier.

Anyway, I then installed rEFIt on my mac, plugged the pendrive and was happy to see that Ubuntu worked on the first try. Recognized my ethernet and had a very easy interface to get me the program I wanted: qtiplot.
Installing it was a piece of cake, took a couple minutes.
The surprise came when I tried to open my .opj (origin) files on my newly installed qtiplot on Ubuntu. Giberish. I mean, I tried opening them on the trial version of qtiplot for mac, so I know they should be read correctly.
The data in the tables show funny characters and the graphs, when they show, show nonsense.
I read the files (the .opj) from a pendrive as well, directly and then copying it into the desktop of Ubuntu, none worked.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Hey Luacaron, I have the same problem and want to ask for help too.