PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Seen Working With ARM On Tablets

Sporkman
December 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
The Redmond, Wash-based company is gearing to release a version of Windows on devices that are powered by ARM-based processors at next month’s Consumer Electronics Show, according to a report by Bloomberg citing two people familiar with Microsoft’s plans...

http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2010/12/22/microsoft-seen-working-with-arm-on-tablets/?partner=yahootix

Spice Weasel
December 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Unless it's entirely new or like FLP, it's gonna be hella slow.

tgalati4
December 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Nothing that a few billion dollars couldn't solve.

zekopeko
December 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Unless it's entirely new or like FLP, it's gonna be hella slow.

You base that assumption on what exactly?

Spice Weasel
December 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
You base that assumption on what exactly?

The current x86 version of Windows 7 would not be suited for smaller ARM devices, so they would probably need to modify it somewhat. Basically, it would not be Windows as we know it.

Anyway, haven't they already got CE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE)? I know someone with it on their netbook, and apparently it's a bit limited.

zekopeko
December 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
The current x86 version of Windows 7 would not be suited for smaller ARM devices, so they would probably need to modify it somewhat. Basically, it would not be Windows as we know it.

Anyway, haven't they already got CE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE)? I know someone with it on their netbook, and apparently it's a bit limited.

You are making unreasonable assumptions again. It was nowhere said that they are porting Windows 7 to ARM. Let me remind you they have a product called Windows Phone 7 which has very little to do with Windows 7. Then you comment on a legacy product that they no longer develop, Windows CE (look another Windows that has nothing to do with the desktop version!).

You also made the assumption that the interface would be the same on the device while there is no evidence to support that claim.

At best the only thing you can conclude from the article is that they will apparently demo a product from the Windows family on ARM tablets during CES.

Lucradia
December 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
You are making unreasonable assumptions again. It was nowhere said that they are porting Windows 7 to ARM. Let me remind you they have a product called Windows Phone 7 which has very little to do with Windows 7. Then you comment on a legacy product that they no longer develop, Windows CE (look another Windows that has nothing to do with the desktop version!).

You also made the assumption that the interface would be the same on the device while there is no evidence to support that claim.

At best the only thing you can conclude from the article is that they will apparently demo a product from the Windows family on ARM tablets during CES.

Even with Windows 7 Phone's OS around; the Zune player is also ARM, with Zune OS.

Windows 7 will HAVE to be ported to arm, with less stuff, and more mobile/tablet features if they want it to run on ARM. Windows isn't meant for ARM.

ReactOS, however, has an ARM port that's making extreme headway with their ARM Team.

Roasted
December 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Nothing that a few billion dollars couldn't solve.

With the right people, yes.
With Microsoft, can't say I'd bet a dollar.

zekopeko
December 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
With the right people, yes.
With Microsoft, can't say I'd bet a dollar.

You have to admit they are on a roll with the last few products.

Roasted
December 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM

Well, yes and no. I still wouldn't really go out of my way to use a lot of their products and software because I still find issues with it that makes me wonder why I would invest the time. However, their recent stuff is certainly better than their previous stuff, that cannot be argued. But their previous stuff was also a pile of ****... so... take that for what it's worth. ;)

Jay Car
December 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM

Like this? (just kidding)

kaldor
December 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM

Windows 7 is surely an improvement. Office 2010 (2011) for both Windows and Mac is great to use. IE is still IE though.

People are judging MS products based on IE6 and Windows XP too much.

alexfish
December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Well not been a one for stirring the poo pot

all things will reach and end conclusion

there is some interesting read among all of this , there even get at odds with each other

over the meaning of now and future , communications technologies and what I call methodologies

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/16/joint-venture-involving-apple-and-microsoft-acquires-novell-patents-for-450-million/

gets even more murkier on reading each link.

The conclusion , or what ever they want to call it " even by methods not yet invented"

some where in there is a claim of a mobile phone or device been call a computer?
and because they have made such whatever in the advancement of blagh blagh blag past "never heard of such a retarded retarded statement in all my !!!"

Real conclusion STAGNATION , if got to with some companies (singular) involvement

Thinking """" er'''' I invent the LEG Tablet , (all past and future Intellectual and maniacal , property rights reserved under the not invented law of Blagh Blag)

PS: this one does not have screws on the outer casing ,

Dustin2128
December 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM

I know right, the kin, the zune, bing, it's been success after success after success for microsoft lately. Get real, they've got two main solid products on the market, the xbox and windows 7. <joke>Sometimes I wonder if you're a microsoft spy sent to infiltrate free software communities...</joke>

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Title of the thread is a little misleading. Microsoft is going to announce that they are working on it; however, the product may not be delivered for 2 years.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17576/will_microsofts_windows_arm_assault_be_too_late_to _matter

Johnsie
December 23rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
I think MS are getting on the ball again. Vista was a disaster, but it was necessary to force hardware manufacturers to improve the performance of hardware. Rolling out Vista and 7 helped save the PC manufacturing industry and get some improvements at the hardware side of things. Bill Gates always said that it was the PC hardware that was holding things back.

Windows Mobile 7 is pretty good. I have an HTC Desire but have tried Windows Mobile 7 and it's nice.

Visual Studio 2010 is easily the best programming IDE out there and Office is still miles ahead of Open Office.

X-Box? Excellent piece of kit with some very good games out recently.

So where does that leave MS with ARM?? They have the money, they have the programmers and they have the power to get it out there... If they want they can make a very good ARM based operating system using their existing technologies, or even create new ones if necessary.

I think the main worry for tech companies at the moment is not Google vs MS vs Apple, it's the fact that China and India are coming out as world leaders in technology... Companies like HTC etc. are going to become alot more powerful over the next few years and US companies are already struggling to compete with that.

kaldor
December 23rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
I know right, the kin, the zune, bing, it's been success after success after success for microsoft lately. Get real, they've got two main solid products on the market, the xbox and windows 7. Sometimes I wonder if you're a microsoft spy sent to infiltrate free software communities...

What happened to Office?

tgalati4
December 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
I just hope the Microsoft tablet comes in glossy brown.

Austin25
December 23rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I think MS are getting on the ball again. Vista was a disaster, but it was necessary to force hardware manufacturers to improve the performance of hardware.

Ah, so something good did come of Vista! That's why I can emulate my GameCube at near full speed.

inobe
December 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Microsoft Seen Working With ARM On Tablets

they've been seen working with toasters, who cares :p

Dustin2128
December 23rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
What happened to Office?
Office... is no longer with us.

Basically I forgot it, you see. ;)

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I know right, the kin, the zune, bing, it's been success after success after success for microsoft lately. Get real, they've got two main solid products on the market, the xbox and windows 7. Sometimes I wonder if you're a microsoft spy sent to infiltrate free software communities...

Oh I see. So because I don't bash Microsoft and their products at every opportunity I must be working for them? Because I don't join on the hate fest I must be a "microsoft spy"? People like you tarnish the FOSS community.

Jay Car
December 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Oh I see. So because I don't bash Microsoft and their products at every opportunity I must be working for them? Because I don't join on the hate fest I must be a "microsoft spy"? People like you tarnish the FOSS community.

It's interesting to watch discussions like this on UF. The words "hate" and "bashing" and "zealot" get tossed around way too often.

Yet, when reading through this thread I see nothing that resembles real hatred. Though there certainly seems to be a consistent lack of respect for Microsoft products, as well as for Microsoft's billion-dollar marketing machine. But there's no way to force people to respect a company, if it can't earn respect for itself.

Personally, several years ago I made, what I believe to be, a sound business decision to move my work computers away from Microsoft products. It didn't happen overnight, but I consider that move to be very successful. Though it took some time and effort, it was worth every bit of it, and still was much easier than I'd anticipated.

My decision didn't have anything to do with hatred, bashing, or zealotry. It had to do with a clear understanding of what my software freedoms were with Microsoft products, and what they were with FOSS software.

Quite frankly, after observing Microsoft's behavior regarding patents and standards, I wouldn't buy a Microsoft product if they dipped it in gold and filled it with chocolate. But that's just me.

You may label me as being a mindless basher, zealot, hater, or whatever. But it seems sad that folks on Ubuntu Forums must be so careful in expressing their feelings about Microsoft, for fear of being labeled as such.

It seems to me that those who admire and defend Microsoft so vehemently might feel less frustrated if they spent more time on a Microsoft Forum.

Microsoft folks do seem rather fragile and defensive these days. Maybe, instead of honestly speaking our minds, we just need to feel more sympathy and cater to their needs...or, then again, maybe not.

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Good job on entirely missing the point.

It's interesting to watch discussions like this on UF. The words "hate" and "bashing" and "zealot" get tossed around way too often.

Yet, when reading through this thread I see nothing that resembles real hatred. Though there certainly seems to be a consistent lack of respect for Microsoft products, as well as for Microsoft's billion-dollar marketing machine. But there's no way to force people to respect a company, if it can't earn respect for itself.

Personally, several years ago I made, what I believe to be, a sound business decision to move my work computers away from Microsoft products. It didn't happen overnight, but I consider that move to be very successful. Though it took some time and effort, it was worth every bit of it, and still was much easier than I'd anticipated.

My decision didn't have anything to do with hatred, bashing, or zealotry. It had to do with a clear understanding of what my software freedoms were with Microsoft products, and what they were with FOSS software.

More power to you.

Quite frankly, after observing Microsoft's behavior regarding patents and standards, I wouldn't buy a Microsoft product if they dipped it in gold and filled it with chocolate. But that's just me.

You may label me as being a mindless basher, zealot, hater, or whatever. But it seems sad that folks on Ubuntu Forums must be so careful in expressing their feelings about Microsoft, for fear of being labeled as such.

You haven't even properly read (and understood) what Dustin2128 wrote and implied.

What he demands is blind obedience to his world view. If you express a positive thought on Microsoft products (as opposed to their business practices) then you just might be a "microsoft spy". If you express an opposing view that clashes with his then you just might be a "microsoft spy". That's a pure ad hominem.

Nobody is demanding people not criticize Microsoft or their products but it would be really nice if it was above the level of "ZOMG! M$ are evil" or "everything they make is crap". At least provide an argument instead of petty insults that are on a level of a 13 year old.

It seems to me that those who admire and defend Microsoft so vehemently might feel less frustrated if they spent more time on a Microsoft Forum.

Microsoft folks do seem rather fragile and defensive these days. Maybe, instead of honestly speaking our minds, we just need to feel more sympathy and cater to their needs...or, then again, maybe not.

I suggest you read Mark Shuttleworth's post on tribalism. It should be enlightening to you.

Some of us don't define ourselves by what OS we are using. Some of us can see the value in other companies products even if we don't agree with the majority of their business practices.

disabledaccount
December 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think MS are getting on the ball again. Vista was a disaster, but it was necessary to force hardware manufacturers to improve the performance of hardware. Rolling out Vista and 7 helped save the PC manufacturing industry and get some improvements at the hardware side of things. Bill Gates always said that it was the PC hardware that was holding things back.

Windows Mobile 7 is pretty good. I have an HTC Desire but have tried Windows Mobile 7 and it's nice.

Visual Studio 2010 is easily the best programming IDE out there and Office is still miles ahead of Open Office.

X-Box? Excellent piece of kit with some very good games out recently.

So where does that leave MS with ARM?? They have the money, they have the programmers and they have the power to get it out there... If they want they can make a very good ARM based operating system using their existing technologies, or even create new ones if necessary.

I think the main worry for tech companies at the moment is not Google vs MS vs Apple, it's the fact that China and India are coming out as world leaders in technology... Companies like HTC etc. are going to become alot more powerful over the next few years and US companies are already struggling to compete with that.And what makes VisualStudio better than Eclipse or CodeBlocks? Is it better if used for VHDL, AVR or ARM asm programming? or maybe wxWidgets or GTK? what makes this IDE best? ...windows support? :lol:

Office software reached such level and number of features, that most users don't need or just can't learn. OpenOffice or AbiWord or Gnumeric (which is way better than Excell having more functions, better accuracy, python support) are very good alternative for 90% of "normal" PC users.

I agree that we can expect M$ domination to be preserved on PCs over next years, but Android is very strong having 3rd-4th place in mobile market share and with highest grow speed (some sources says it has 2nd place now). This is thanks to chinese products that are shipped with Android at very low price. M$ and Apple are unable to stop this and I would say its just too late now.

Quite frankly, after observing Microsoft's behavior regarding patents and standards, I wouldn't buy a Microsoft product if they dipped it in gold and filled it with chocolate. But that's just me.No, not just You ;)

Roasted
December 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Windows 7 is surely an improvement. Office 2010 (2011) for both Windows and Mac is great to use. IE is still IE though.

People are judging MS products based on IE6 and Windows XP too much.

I haven't gotten to use Office 2010 that much, but Office 2007 introduced more bad than good. Tons of bugs I came across with more headaches than I really had time to deal with.

But hey, thanks to OpenOffice, we were able to stay productive without the headache.

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
And what makes VisualStudio better than Eclipse or CodeBlocks? Is it better if used for VHDL, AVR or ARM asm programming? or maybe wxWidgets or GTK? what makes this IDE best? ...windows support? :lol:

I don't think that when people label something "best" they much care about specific support for languages and toolkits/frameworks but what kind of functionality it offers for what it supports. Gedit supports plenty of languages (probably more then VisualStudio) but that doesn't mean it's a good IDE.

Office software reached such level and number of features, that most users don't need or just can't learn. OpenOffice or AbiWord or Gnumeric (which is way better than Excell having more functions, better accuracy, python support) are very good alternative for 90% of "normal" PC users.

Office is also good enough for 90% of users. It's probably easier now since they redesigned the interface in 2007/2010.

I agree that we can expect M$ domination to be preserved on PCs over next years, but Android is very strong having 3rd-4th place in mobile market share and with highest grow speed (some sources says it has 2nd place now). This is thanks to chinese products that are shipped with Android at very low price.

Always nice to get my freedom in hardware manufactured from slave-like labor ;)

M$ and Apple are unable to stop this and I would say its just too late now.

Doubt it. Microsoft has a good product and if they play their cards right they will get a good chunk of the market. Apple doesn't much care for market share since even if they are 3rd or 4th they still make more money then the rest of the Android/WP7 thanks to their high profit margins on their products.

disabledaccount
December 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't think that when people label something "best" they much care about specific support for languages and toolkits/frameworks but what kind of functionality it offers for what it supports. Gedit supports plenty of languages (probably more then VisualStudio) but that doesn't mean it's a good IDE.

Office is also good enough for 90% of users. It's probably easier now since they redesigned the interface in 2007/2010.

Always nice to get my freedom in hardware manufactured from slave-like labor ;)

Doubt it. Microsoft has a good product and if they play their cards right they will get a good chunk of the market. Apple doesn't much care for market share since even if they are 3rd or 4th they still make more money then the rest of the Android/WP7 thanks to their high profit margins on their products.Gedit is just text editor with syntax highlighting ability - I'm sure You understand the difference. Every IDE performs better in some tasks and has weaknes in others - so VS is not the best IDE - it works only on one platform and supports rather narrow set of tasks - very narrow in fact, comparing f.e. to Eclipse.

Most of users don't pay for MS Office and Windows (gues why ;) ) - that is the reason why they are using it. I've used almost every edition of MSOffice and OpenOffice - there is no big difference for typical user, unless someone can't live without VB ;)
And most/many of MS Office users says that 2007/2010 is harder to learn/use, because of different interface.

Oh, so you must throw your PC out of the window - most of its parts are made in china ;)

Android is NOT good product? Price makes miracles and M$ nor Apple can't fight on this field. However, I suppose that old method could be used: M$ can bring a lawsuit against chinese manufacturers - they use window-based systems, and this is essentially M$ technology :lol:

JDShu
December 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Its a smart move by Microsoft. They are a big company and the best strategy is to dabble in everything and see what sticks.

Jay Car
December 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Its a smart move by Microsoft. They are a big company and the best strategy is to dabble in everything and see what sticks.

But isn't this "strategy" potentially more damaging than helpful? They've had so many failed projects in recent years (both Courier and Kin, as two examples of things that failed to "stick") who really believes them anymore?

Microsoft just seems to be a very disfunctional company with a severe case of Me-Too-ism.

In a way, they remind me of Cinderella's stepsister, trying to stuff their oversized foot into everyone else's shoe, whether it fits or not.

(@zekopeko, I understood your point quite well, I also understood that you avoided mine quite well)

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Gedit is just text editor with syntax highlighting ability - I'm sure You understand the difference. Every IDE performs better in some tasks and has weaknes in others - so VS is not the best IDE - it works only on one platform and supports rather narrow set of tasks - very narrow in fact, comparing f.e. to Eclipse.

Actually Gedit has plugins that make it an IDE of choice for some people so you are wrong on that one.

Now I know that you want to paint Visual Studio as "not the best IDE" but you aren't doing a good job at that. If you re-read what I wrote you will see that it's not really important to have support for more platforms or languages but to be a good IDE with what it does support. Eclipse is certainly a good IDE but the fact that it's cross-platform and it supports (I'm guessing here) more languages doesn't mean it is better then VS if it has less functionality for those languages/frameworks it supports.

Most of users don't pay for MS Office and Windows (gues why ;) ) - that is the reason why they are using it.

I've used almost every edition of MSOffice and OpenOffice - there is no big difference for typical user, unless someone can't live without VB
And most/many of MS Office users says that 2007/2010 is harder to learn/use, because of different interface.

And most/many of MS Office users say they love the new interface.

Oh, so you must throw your PC out of the window - most of its parts are made in china

I was being sarcastic. I'll mark it for you next time.

Android is NOT good product?

Where did I say Android wasn't a good product? Oh that's right I didn't.

Price makes miracles and M$ nor Apple can't fight on this field.

They are doing quite well. Apple has managed to dominate the music player/store market, they are holding a huge chunk of the smartphone market and they keep growing in computer market share. Microsoft is selling 100s of millions of Windows and Office licenses, has a strong foothold in the business and game console sectors. I would say they are putting quite a fight.
And in the end the users profit.

However, I suppose that old method could be used: M$ can bring a lawsuit against chinese manufacturers - they use window-based systems, and this is essentially M$ technology

They already did bring a number of lawsuit against various companies.
Please stop writing MS as M$. Makes it hard to take you seriously.

Cheers!

jerenept
December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
This thread is going OFF TOPIC. You two, argue SOMEWHERE ELSE. I don't care what you two prefer, Microsoft, or Open-source, so long as it works for you.

Now, back to MS working on ARM: There is a Ubuntu tablet coming out soon that I would love to have. I hope that I can upgrade it to 11.04, because the Unity interface is just stunning, and perfect for tablets. (I use 11.04 on my desktop now)

Dustin2128
December 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
You haven't even properly read (and understood) what Dustin2128 wrote and implied.

What he demands is blind obedience to his world view. If you express a positive thought on Microsoft products (as opposed to their business practices) then you just might be a "microsoft spy". If you express an opposing view that clashes with his then you just might be a "microsoft spy". That's a pure ad hominem.

That sir, is what we in the business call a joke. Hyperbole if you wish. I just think you were exaggerating on MS's successes, everyone has the right to their own opinion and viewpoint. Laugh a little, you'll find life more enjoyable.

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
This thread is going OFF TOPIC. You two, argue SOMEWHERE ELSE. I don't care what you two prefer, Microsoft, or Open-source, so long as it works for you.

Now, back to MS working on ARM: There is a Ubuntu tablet coming out soon that I would love to have. I hope that I can upgrade it to 11.04, because the Unity interface is just stunning, and perfect for tablets. (I use 11.04 on my desktop now)

Sorry, you're correct. My apologies.

Now to get back on topic. The main problem that all desktop OS's face when running on tablets is that they simply aren't designed for it. Microsoft has been trying it with WinXP and now Win7 and it was always a market failure. The same problem Unity has. I'm not talking about Unity itself but the apps it ships with. Those are the problem.

Apple figured it out with the iOS/iPad. You have to design the OS and apps to be multi-touch friendly. Unity itself is halfway there but apps need to get touch friendly interfaces to make the whole thing work.

zekopeko
December 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
That sir, is what we in the business call a joke. Hyperbole if you wish. I just think you were exaggerating on MS's successes, everyone has the right to their own opinion and viewpoint. Laugh a little, you'll find life more enjoyable.

It didn't appear as one to me. It looked more like an attempt to discredit my opinion by labeling me. Please don't do it again.

disabledaccount
December 24th, 2010, 01:07 AM
zekopeko: I don't want to go off-topic, so I'll wait for another occasion to continue our discussion :)

I would like to see Ubuntu in place of Android :) I'm searching for tablet that can be used as HVAC controller / operator panel and I've almost decided to buy something Android-based...

alexfish
December 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM
But isn't this "strategy" potentially more damaging than helpful? They've had so many failed projects in recent years (both Courier and Kin, as two examples of things that failed to "stick") who really believes them anymore?

Microsoft just seems to be a very disfunctional company with a severe case of Me-Too-ism.

In a way, they remind me of Cinderella's stepsister, trying to stuff their oversized foot into everyone else's shoe, whether it fits or not.

(@zekopeko, I understood your point quite well, I also understood that you avoided mine quite well)

and when the shoe don't fit .it squeals like like a pig
and has a habit to lash out like a scalded cat

there is one thing for sure , it rhymes with , to see where it sticks,
or something that hits the fan

can't wait for the outcome.

PS: not really , think most know what the outcome will be.

inobe
December 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
they've been seen working with toasters, who cares :p

and tables :lol:

jerenept
December 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM
and tables :lol:

No really. They have this super cool futuristic table that is like a huge touchscreen on steroids. Star Trek might give you an idea.

inobe
December 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
No really. They have this super cool futuristic table that is like a huge touchscreen on steroids. Star Trek might give you an idea.

i was referring to exactly that :p

JDShu
December 24th, 2010, 04:40 AM

On the other hand the Xbox is quite a success. Microsoft can afford short term losses if it can eventually find something that does, in fact, stick.

Dustin2128
December 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Please don't do it again.
I'll just pull a slashdot and surround it with <joke> tags.... seriously.....

grahammechanical
December 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Wow! This thread is going on and on. Are we not missing the point? More accurately, we are changing the thread topic.

What is so surprising about Microsoft developing an OS to run on ARM processors? They have already done it. I read an article about ARM processors on Wikipedia that claimed that ARM processors were more abundant than Intel processors. ARM chips are manufactured under license and are used in all sorts of devices and gadgets including Mobile phones. Apple use Arm processors in their products.

Microsoft has a Mobile phone. It does not produce the hardware. I would not be surprised if it was possible to buy the same mobile phone hardware but using different operating systems. I would not mind betting that the Windows Mobile phone is running on an ARM processor. So, I say Microsoft already has an ARM OS. Cannonical would do the same if it could. It is called Business.

regards.

jerenept
December 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Wow! This thread is going on and on. Are we not missing the point? More accurately, we are changing the thread topic.

What is so surprising about Microsoft developing an OS to run on ARM processors? They have already done it. I read an article about ARM processors on Wikipedia that claimed that ARM processors were more abundant than Intel processors. ARM chips are manufactured under license and are used in all sorts of devices and gadgets including Mobile phones. Apple use Arm processors in their products.

Microsoft has a Mobile phone. It does not produce the hardware. I would not be surprised if it was possible to buy the same mobile phone hardware but using different operating systems. I would not mind betting that the Windows Mobile phone is running on an ARM processor. So, I say Microsoft already has an ARM OS. Cannonical would do the same if it could. It is called Business.

regards.

Ubuntu can run on ARM processors, so, uh, they have done the same. Ubuntu can't make phone calls though, so it's smartphone adoption has been understandably slow :P

shiningkenmonster
December 25th, 2010, 03:13 AM
i hope they charge a lot of money for their OS and make it looks like it cost 50-100 dollars more than the linux tablets! Linux tablets would sell more if they did!

phrostbyte
December 25th, 2010, 05:16 AM

You come into any thread regardless if it's anti-Microsoft (like this one, which started as fairly tame discussion on Microsoft's strategy), and you turn into a crazied hatefest almost all on your own. It's amazing to watch.

You need to relax a little bit and realize not everyone on a LINUX FORUM is going to be giving Microsoft high fives at every opportunity, and stop randomly insulting people for expressing their honest opinion about Microsoft's strategy or products.

phrostbyte
December 25th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Back to the original topic, I think Microsoft could potentially port their desktop OS to ARM without tons and tons of effort. Their design is actually designed somewhat around instruction set portability, and Windows NT has been ported to other systems in the past.

But this highlights a key technical disadvantage of proprietary software - none of the Windows apps that people know and love will work on this new ARM system. This is because Windows apps (with some notable exceptions) tend to be compiled directly into x86 code. If anything, it will require an emulation layer that will degrade ARM's performance.

Linux and FOSS has the advantage here in that all it takes is a recompile to port to ARM - no emulation required.

This is a huge enough deal that I doubt Microsoft will port their desktop OS to ARM anytime soon.

zekopeko
December 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
You come into any thread regardless if it's anti-Microsoft (like this one, which started as fairly tame discussion on Microsoft's strategy), and you turn into a crazied hatefest almost all on your own. It's amazing to watch.

You can't turn something into a "hatefest" if the hate/fanboism isn't already there.

You need to relax a little bit and realize not everyone on a LINUX FORUM is going to be giving Microsoft high fives at every opportunity, and stop randomly insulting people for expressing their honest opinion about Microsoft's strategy or products.

Providing a counter point based on facts or at least reason isn't "randomly insulting people". People need to chill out and realize that I'm also expressing my opinion which is usual backed by at least some facts.

mips
December 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Maybe it's based on Windows Phone 7?

zekopeko
December 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Maybe it's based on Windows Phone 7?

I doubt it. WP7 is already running on ARM. I think that they are talking about the full desktop Windows but it's still unclear what exactly they are working on.