PDA

View Full Version : Linux Snobs vs. Mac Snobs

Sirin
April 24th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Who's worse, a mac snob or linux snob? both rail against microsoft's sordid empire. Both hail the inherent virtues of their particular platform. so have at it, would you rather be in a room full of mac snobs or linux snobs?

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7025/200pxmaclogo4ep.png .VS. http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4914/tux9oa.png

8)

not28
April 24th, 2006, 04:30 AM
IMHO mac snobs have a better sense of style. :P

aysiu
April 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM
My thoughts:
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/zealots

briancurtin
April 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM
id like to vote for "this is stupid"

woedend
April 24th, 2006, 04:55 AM
i'd like to vote for "none of the above".

FLeiXiuS
April 24th, 2006, 05:04 AM
id like to vote for "this is stupid"
It's mostly of an opinion per user, which I could see getting out of hand...I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if it progresses any.

NetInsanity
April 24th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Add neither and i'll vote.

Snobs of any kind are just annoying.

ubuntu27
April 24th, 2006, 06:31 AM
My thoughts:

That was an interesting and entertaining article :) I agree 99% with you :)

NetInsanity
April 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM
That was an interesting and entertaining article :) I agree 99% with you :)

I agree 182% with him and that is not only because i am insane.

3rdalbum
April 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Linux snobs. Mac snobs (not all Mac users) are kinda sad the way they obsess about Firewire... i.e. "Apple are abandoning us by not putting Firewire on the new iPods!" and "Ubuntu is useless if it can't be run off an external Firewire hard disk!" and "Apple are abandoning us by switching to Intel because they're doing it to phase out Firewire support!".

Geez. Firewire is good, but it's not worth all the whinging. Not all Mac users do it; it's just the snobs (I can attest to this, because I'm a Mac user).

NetInsanity
April 24th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Linux snobs. Mac snobs (not all Mac users) are kinda sad the way they obsess about Firewire... i.e. "Apple are abandoning us by not putting Firewire on the new iPods!" and "Ubuntu is useless if it can't be run off an external Firewire hard disk!" and "Apple are abandoning us by switching to Intel because they're doing it to phase out Firewire support!".

Geez. Firewire is good, but it's not worth all the whinging. Not all Mac users do it; it's just the snobs (I can attest to this, because I'm a Mac user).

Macs before intel was kinda interesting because it was the only affordable platform you could buy that wasn't x86, now it's just overpriced x86 hardware.

I have a G4 MacBook Pro just because it was different from x86, now it's the same as every other setup so who cares.

Iandefor
April 24th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Both are equally damaging. Linux snobs tend to discourage new users from using Linux, and Mac snobs are just so annoying, I refuse to use Macs simply to spite them- I imagine they also put off an elitist air for Apple- "Look at us! We're better than all you lowly PC folk! Haha!"

ubuntu_demon
April 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
My thoughts:
nice essay I agree with it. ... it's somewhat familiar I might have read it already a long time ago.

People tend to forget there are reasons for using windows such as playing games or specific programs.

But there are a lot of windows users who don't use specific programs for which they need windows, who don't want to try a different OS but ask my help with windows. I always send them some advice how to do a clean install of windows (with a virusscanner and stuff). I regret the fact that a lot of people won't try OS X or Ubuntu even if I would help them with it.

endersshadow
April 25th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I detest snobbery all together, but what really gets my goat is that most Mac snobs aren't even aware that their system is built on the back of Darwin. I've had one tell me that his Mac had never seen anything so "primitive" as VIM...I bet him $10 that it had...I won :-D

At any rate, I don't think that Mac owners see themselves as POSIX system owners, just as not-Microsoft owners. It's been my experience that Linux snobs know more about their system from the top down than do Mac snobs, albeit any snob is awful to hang out with.

It's just a shame that people don't understand each OS has its pros and cons and it really matters what the user wants to do with it, in the end. Oh well...I suppose snobbery shall always live :-|

htinn
April 25th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Computer geek snobbery is all harmless fun (relatively speaking).

henriquemaia
April 25th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Snobs are snobs. You can't even get a conversation straight when a person on that particular mindframe.

drizek
April 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM
lets put it this way, i would much rather be on this forum than a mac forum.

I think linux users have two things going for em.

1. Promoting linux actually serves a purpose as far as making computers better, promoting osx just serves to line jobs pockets. Promoting apple does not help to rid the computing world of monopolies because apple is more than willing to take MSs place.

2. Linux users actually know what theyre talking about. Beyond the interface and the shiny plastic, most mac users have no clue what makes a computer tick. This makes intelligent debate with them almost impossible.

htinn
April 25th, 2006, 07:24 AM
In basic psychology, I learned that the less rewarding an experience is, the more likely people are to defend it unreasonably. Ergo, Mac users can be expected to don kevlar in defense of their machines. :)

xlight
April 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
That's bull****.
Mac, Linux or windows you allways have different users. The OS is as perfect as it's worst users.
Linux is perfect for geeks Mac is perfect for users with good sens off style
Windows is almost perfect for daily use for every one else.
I love Linux. I love Mac and soon they will merge to something good.
We ( linux users could learn thing or two from the mac users/developers )

endersshadow
April 25th, 2006, 11:17 PM
That's bull****.
Mac, Linux or windows you allways have different users. The OS is as perfect as it's worst users.
Linux is perfect for geeks Mac is perfect for users with good sens off style
Windows is almost perfect for daily use for every one else.
I love Linux. I love Mac and soon they will merge to something good.
We ( linux users could learn thing or two from the mac users/developers )

I think your "perfect for"s are a lot a bit off. For one, Linux is perfect for geeks, yes, but it's also perfect for the "I just want to check my email and play Pogo games" crowd, as well as anybody who doesn't need professional software for things (such as Autodesk, Shockwave, VisualStudio, etc.). For two, Windows is perfect for gamers and businesses requiring special software. For three, Macs are prefect for multimedia editting.

Windows isn't perfect for daily use for everyone else...it's tolerable. Same with Linux and gaming and/or multimedia editting--it's tolerable, not perfect.

And as for the Mac sense of style...I hold the personal opinion that Aqua looks like something made by Fisher Price and I, quite simply, cannot stand it. It's great for people who like shiny things that bounce, but that's not me. I much prefer the gentler, smoother, and more subtle stylings of my Gnome desktop that I can customize to my heart's content. The thing that Linux (and Windows to some extent) has figured out that Mac has completely forgotten is that people have different tastes in "style" and some people love to tinker. Because after all, it's all about choice.

Moreover, Mac is already using Darwin, which is based on BSD, a UNIX variant closer to UNIX than Linux (since it's a fork, more or less). It's also released under the BSD. Apple could not take anything released under the GPL and do with it what they've done to Darwin. Mac will never merge with Linux, as Linux is under the GPL, and quite frankly, it's a lot easier to make cash by using a BSD piece of software to slightly tweak than it is to do it with a GPL'd piece of software.

IYY
April 25th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I like Linux snobs much more, because they usually (not always) have something to be proud about. Most of them know their way around the operating system, have contributed software to the community, can solve their problems very fast from the CLI and help newbies do the same. Mac snobs just bought a product and are proud because they have it, and others don't.

An analogy:

Say we're in highschool. One kid (Ms. Linux) is a very good student, and she became one by studying a lot and learning the material. The other (Ms. Mac) has rich parents who bought her a new handbag. Who would you respect more?

aysiu
April 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I don't really have a lot to be proud of. Ubuntu pretty much set up all my hardware for me, and using Synaptic Package Manager to install programs is a no-brainer.

Now, installing programs on my wife's Powerbook using Fink--that's something to be proud of!

endersshadow
April 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I don't really have a lot to be proud of. Ubuntu pretty much set up all my hardware for me, and using Synaptic Package Manager to install programs is a no-brainer.

Now, installing programs on my wife's Powerbook using Fink--that's something to be proud of!

Yeah, but you're not a snob :-D

aysiu
April 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah, but you're not a snob :-D Good point. I definitely can't be a snob, or I'd be shot down as a phony.

Remember when a bunch of people took the geek poll? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=70389) I think I scored the lowest out of everyone who replied to that thread.

woedend
April 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM
don't feel bad ay. I only got a 34, and I try to spend a lot of time here helping others. By the way...I never did figure out who the man in that picture was that I was to identify hehe.
But, in a little elaboration of my original, smart assed post. The question is which would you rather 'hang with'. The honest answer is - neither. To me being snobby about anything is a poor trait, yet alone about an operating system - makes me think of either one with a very poor self image or that spends much of their day in recluse on a computer or a combination of both - neither of which I would normally want to be around. OS's should be a hobby, a workstation, etc...not a way of life, not a religion that some people make it into. But I fully believe in advocating your OS, telling others about it, but most importantly to me, helping others with it. Having extense computer related knowledge is great. Having patience with people is also great. Being able to do both, however, seems to be a challenge to a lot of people. Thankfully this community,ahem, for the most part, has been great,everyone to me has been very helpful.

Rick Myers
April 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
My thoughts:

Good article! I too grow weary of the pissin' contests. Snobs, zealots, whatever you what to call 'em, they're annoying and counter productive. ](*,)

NetInsanity
April 26th, 2006, 11:46 PM

FWIW, this old programmer does find you a middle of the road kinda guy, you are quite possibly the best thing Linux has got going for it.

We (developers, developers, developers, and no, not only me) do appreciate your effort, as opposed to the nutcases that have a need to rant on and and on about their microsoft hate you lift the good things into the light for others to see.

Our world needs more like you.

aysiu
April 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks, Netsanity.

I think my point was really that I didn't do anything fantastic to get Ubuntu working on my computer. It pretty much worked out of the box. I didn't have to recompile any kernels or do anything fancy. I'm not a programmer. I just popped the CD in and answered questions.

NetInsanity
April 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks, Netsanity.

I think my point was really that I didn't do anything fantastic to get Ubuntu working on my computer. It pretty much worked out of the box. I didn't have to recompile any kernels or do anything fancy. I'm not a programmer. I just popped the CD in and answered questions.

Ubuntu doesn't need you to do fantastic, it IS fantastic, free software developed by people just like you and me.

That it just worked is an extra bonus, but not someething anyone should expect with ANY OS.

But you are a spoekesperson for this community, i could not hope for an honest nor out of the hinges kinda guy...

ubuntu27
April 27th, 2006, 02:14 AM
FWIW, this old programmer does find you a middle of the road kinda guy, you are quite possibly the best thing Linux has got going for it.

We (developers, developers, developers, and no, not only me) do appreciate your effort, as opposed to the nutcases that have a need to rant on and and on about their microsoft hate you lift the good things into the light for others to see.

Our world needs more like you.

This is kind of off-topic but, You are a Developer? :D :)

NetInsanity
April 27th, 2006, 02:37 AM
This is kind of off-topic but, You are a Developer? :D :)

Actually, i designed a working interface model which is basically what teh modularity of the kernel buildt off of.

As of now i spend my time evaluating projedts and spend my time where i like, i'm not rich by any means but not really poor either...

Give me something new and exciting, i kinda long for that day to happen, when i can go WHOA, again, it's been like 25 years since i could...

Even if i don't take the time to respoind or care, without you my job wouldn't exist, and except for this isdiot who thinks that the FOSS developed entirely for him and his family, i love you guys.

yager
April 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM
As for all of the zealotry, it has been around in the Mac world since before the Mac. I remember friends who owned Apple IIe and c units talking as if God himself had created these machines and had them delivered by the Angels. You could sense the elitism in their voice. The IBM PC had not even seen daylight and they were already superior to all of mankind.

All of this talk about the different groups brought to mind a scene from the Monty Python flick, "Life of Brian" where he tries to join the Judean People's Front and ends up joining the People's Front of Judea who besides hating the Romans (Microsoft), hate the Judean People's Front (insert other target operating system). See the link for the full script. http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-07.htm

ubuntu27
April 27th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Actually, i designed a working interface model which is basically what teh modularity of the kernel buildt off of.

As of now i spend my time evaluating projedts and spend my time where i like, i'm not rich by any means but not really poor either...

Give me something new and exciting, i kinda long for that day to happen, when i can go WHOA, again, it's been like 25 years since i could...

Even if i don't take the time to respoind or care, without you my job wouldn't exist, and except for this isdiot who thinks that the FOSS developed entirely for him and his family, i love you guys.

:)

poofyhairguy
April 27th, 2006, 04:58 AM
What about Windows snobs? They are my favorite. They think that Macs are just for women or homosexual people, and they think Linux is software communism. They see anything that comes from MS as good and worth buying and anything not from MS is crap.

I love Windows snobs the most by far because they feel superior with nothing to back it up. Its like a sailboat with no sail- a fun disaster to see.

If I have to pick my second favorite its Linux snobs. They have helped me out of a bind more than once with their knowledge....

htinn
April 27th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I have to admit, Windows snobs are more entertaining than Linux or Mac snobs in my experience. Windows snobs never shut up about how much RAM they're going to get or how awesome they think their video/sound/hard drive is going to be once they actually earn enough money to buy it. And if you ask them how to fix something, the answer is inevitably: buy new hardware. :P

drizek
April 27th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I think the proportion of snobs in windows is quite a bit lower than linux and certainly a lot lower than osx. I find most windows users either dont know about linux and dont care or are somehow tied to windows and cant switch.